Which KAVX Catalina is better

I think your second statement answers the first. Orbx is smart enough to realize that upkeep of a webpage that likely won’t get much traffic is a waste.

I agree it is awesome, but just let us know. I mean do I just never buy GAYA stuff again, under the pre-tense it will eventually be free? and yes Airports are expensive.

2 Likes

The one in the update is also made by ORBX

The payware ORBX Catalina is better - I just un-installed it, downloaded the new World Update content, loaded in and looked around. Then I uninstalled just the new Catalina, re-downloaded the ORBX pack and reinstalled it, then loaded in again.

The only thing the Gaya Catalina has that would be nice in the ORBX version is transparent windows you can see into in the tower. But you can’t enter the buildings - you immediately render up above the roofline. You can’t even drone-cam under the walkway awnings. Same thing happens.

The ORBX version has nicer tall trees lining the apron, has MUCH better “flavor” around the field with vehicles, people, shrubbery, the Catalina cargo plane parked along the far side of the runway, etc.

6 Likes

Probably I’ll consider to wait in the future, before buying airport sceneries to avoid such a situation…or not…wgo knows? :wink: But, it’s kinda odd nevertheless.

Can I leave the ORBX scenery installed for the update?

Kind regards

I was wondering the same… they are very silent lately… unfortunately, they hsve a big bscklog of bugs in their scenerys that never get fixed… :frowning:

1 Like

I know, i bought it…

That’s true, and I think the decision to buy the payware or stick with a WU version ultimately depends on the user’s comfort level with the freeware. If they’re expecting to fly there 2 or 3 times, then it’s not particularly worth buying the payware if the freeware version is quite adequate. That being said, more frequent flights may welcome the value for money of the payware version.

The only exception I can think of is KATL; the World Update version is miles better than the Imaginesim version, and the payware was absolutely a waste of money.

1 Like

It’s not really a good idea to have both installed at the same time. At best you’ll end up with some kind of “Star Trek transporter-accident” melding of the two custom models and terrain edits; at worst you run the risk of CTDs or other instability. Fortunately, it’s easy to uninstall individual packages in Content Manager. Just type “Catalina” into the Search bar and it will bring up thew one (listed as being by Microsoft) and the custom one from ORBX. Just make sure only one is downloaded and installed.

2 Likes

I did a compare of the Gaya KBID and the one bundled in the sim, and reinstalled the Gaya one. :sunglasses:

At the time, it was the only bespoke and true to life airport for the state (and still is). I don’t regret paying for it, as at the time, it stood out as a quality field and hasn’t needed an update since it was first released. It looked great and I get a lot of joy using it as “Home Base.” The satisfaction I had by the number of times I flew out of it divided by the price is literally in the cents per flight. No regrets. Happy to see these quality airports are now available to the rest of the simmer base.

3 Likes

I can imagine the feeling. I saw KDET on the marketplace and was stoked. Its closer to home than 1D2, but when i saw the screenshots… its not even close to what it looks like.

ORBX has the best KVAX.
The town of Avalon is pretty detailed also

1 Like

with all wonderful things in this world i don’t think 680mb addon can be better than 4gb addon. so yes orbx just have to be better

Interesting on file size differences.

KBID:

KAVX:

The Orbx KAVX was only $7.99. Pocket change.

heh, i was sure catalina about 3gb lol check in orbx 6.5gb too

As said already, the only differene are the static models. But yeah, i will use the GAYA one too, just because the free one looks a bit empty without the statics. But, i wouldnt buy it now, if i havent already. :slight_smile:

Not a problem for me, ■■■■ happens. I dont feel like it was wasted money, so…

1 Like

Probably because the ORBX one included Satellite images for the island, this isnt neessary anymore with the WU10. I think they will update it and remove the ground textures now, happens alot with 3rd party senery after WUs, they remove the .cgl which usually has the biggest file size.

On a sidenote: FSDT has already pushed an update to all of their scenerys (KORD, KCTL, LSZH, LFSB) yesterday to fit the new elevation data and stuff. Great to see they are on top of things, unless some other devs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have the payware KAVX and KBID and just added WU10. I want to stick with the payware versions for these airports, but in my content manager I am not seeing separate listings for the MS versions that are part of WU10. I only have the option to uninstall all of WU10. I do see the payware versions as separate scenery items. How should I proceed?

Just leave the Payware versions installed. They will be used instead of WU10 versions.