Which KAVX Catalina is better

I own the OrbX version, anyone here say which one they think is better? I dont get why they make hand crafted already done payware Airports. I might just stop buying them.

2 Likes

Yeah, bit of a bummer, that they went for 2 out of 4 airports that are already done to very high standards by ORBX and GAYA. I own both, Catalina and Block Island…

I had a first and very short look at them, i cant say which is better yet, i would have to make a more detailed comparison. But i can say, these two handcraftet ones are very good. Especially Catalina is very detailed.

For Lake Tahoe tho, the payware that is out for that is not even close to the handcrafted one in this update. So, you dont even have to think about getting the payware one… :wink:

9 Likes

Yeah its fast becoming silly to buy airports, you never know when they will do it. There should be a year list so we know and dont waste our money.

5 Likes

hmm, not really, IMHO.

Most serious payware airports are more detailed than the handcraftet ones, especially the ones that were released at launch or in early WUs. For example, i use FSDT LSZH / KORD. I prefer them over the ones that are in the WU/Launch. Handcrafted LSZH is a bit more detailed at some areas, but poorly optimised and lots of stuff pops in only at very short distance. Also the night lighting is awful. And LSZH is my home airport, so i prefer the FSDT one, performs better, looks better at night, and is updated when needed, which isnt the case with the handcraftet one. I reported many bugs directly to GAYA, but they have not found the time yet it seems to fix any of them. If you know the airport very well, you find more details that are off, which are better in FSDT… but yeah, not everyone cares to that degree.

Faro and Palermo are very good tho, the handcrafted ones. But i dont know the airports in real, so i dont compare too much details that might not be accurate.

2 Likes

Wait a sec, kinda on and off topic, i read in the notes that gaya made the airports that are handcrafted in this world update? IE: Block island, which I already bought from Gaya, is basically now free with this update? Or am I missing something here?

1 Like

Im not sure if its EXACTLY the same as the one you can buy, or if they took some details out, i would need to make a direct 1:1 comparison. But it COULD be the exact same, yes.

EDIT: It probably is… ORBX has taken down the product page…
https://orbxdirect.com/product/gaya-kbid-msfs

Money wasted. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks. Im going to have to do a serious stare and compare. If its the same one how can they justify selling it, or for the folks like myself who paid money and blam its just now become free? While typing this just saw your edit. How can they just flip payware to free addons, I don’t get the business practices going on here. Im not spending a cent on this sim anymore. I think this was the final straw for me. I have a bunch of payware airports that are what just going to flip to free one day?

3 Likes

Catalina is still for sale, and it is NOT exactly the same as the one in this WU. The ORBX one has some more details, like peoples and stuff:

1 Like

Well, idk whats going on, why KBID it isnt on sale anymore on ORBX, but still is at the GAYA website:

However, it seems to be the same, minus some static aircraft and different cars, but its obviously the GAYA KBID payware scenery 1:1.

Screenshot from Gaya Website:

WU-Version:

2 Likes

GAYA Website:

WU-Version:

1 Like

They are not the same. A friend of mine who owns both has said that that the payware KBID is better. Apparently, some things have been left out of the world update version.

1 Like

It is EXACTLY the same. :slight_smile: Minus the statics, and different car models. :wink:
Even the same static peoples.

1 Like

Apparently, there is a Twin Otter in the payware version that is not in the world update version and I think some other static aircraft, too.

1 Like

You can compare the black lines on the Apron, same. But yeh, on the GAYA payware version, the wind indicator on the roof, is a plane, here, its a square. But not THAT much of a difference. LOL

GAYA:

WU:

Not sure if i would pay 20 bucks for statics and a small plane wind indicator on the roof, instead of a square…

1 Like

GAYA:

WU:

It is EXACTLY the same airport, exactly. Just no statics and different cars. Nothing that would justify to buy it still. Theres a reson it was removed from ORBX store for sure. It will probably go from the Gaya website aswell, unless they are greedy…

As an Xbox user, I can appreciate the WU X version of Catalina far better simply on the grace that it’s available.

Ok I think Asobo need to really start addressing this, It isn’t really cool, to do this. They need to put out a schedule at least for a year so we dont waste our money, and not only that, but now I have to delete a duplicate or it causes a CTD or crazy scenery, it isn’t cool. I am grateful and all, but just do sceney that payware has not!

4 Likes

You could make the same argument when talking about all those different developers in past simulators. Both FSX and X-Plane 11 have like 3 different versions of the same plane or airport and the newest release often making the older one redundant.

It´s great that we´re getting those for free now. Also there will be a gateway system soon anyways for more free stuff.
Furthermore - wasn´t the Gaya airport released last year? So anyone who bought it was able to use it for many months now.

Will Gaya even release new airports outside of the WU? Their last update on Facebook is from February and their forum is down

3 Likes

No I have never seen this, and also if it is an update then you may expect to pay, I am not sure what you are trying to say.

Buying an airport 3 months ago, or even 2 weeks ago from OrbX for it only to be free today and not only that, but by installing it twice you can have all manner of problems.

I have never bought scenery more than once, I have paid for updates after like 3 years, or Updates for new plane variations, but I have never seen this.

The point is I have 90-95% of all OrbX Scenery, most of Contrail, most of simmarket, I dont do default airports, I hate them…they make me think I am flying some Micro Prose game back in the day on my Atari ST. So I dont begrudge it going free, but I would like to know what is coming I am not in the business of buying free stuff and having CTD’s for the pleasure.

2 Likes

I get that it´s kind of a bummer when scenery gets released for free and you´ve already bought it. So at least Asobo should instruct them to create new scenery and not just release the already existing payware version for free (if it´s the same developer)

But in my opinion Asobo should improve airports, regardless of whether payware option can be bought or not. A lot of users don´t buy airports, so for those it´s surely amazing.
(It´s a bit offtopic but I think that the pricing for new airports is ridiculous for 2022)

2 Likes