Which moving map?

I’m a relative beginner looking for a good quality moving map. Hoping someone can advise. I really only have two requirements:

1. It needs to be granular movements, similar to the ootb vfr map. In other words, I tried Volanta but the increments of movement were annoying. The plane location updated every, say, 5 seconds. Not ideal for low level vfr flying.

2. I would like to be able to zoom in to real detail. For example, if I’m flying over a sports stadium or castle, it would be great to be able to zoom in to find out what it is. Basically more detail than the ootb vrf map.

I know there is an extension to the out of the box vfr map but is that the best one?
I’m still a beginner so am not up to the point of detailed flight planning yet, but I will be. If products like navigraph etc satisfy the above criteria then I’m willing to sign up.

I really just want to be able to zoom into what I’m flying over to see what it is.

Have a look into LitteNavMap.
It’s a quite complex and complete toolset, but it also provides basic plane tracking. You can underlap google maps, VFR sectionals, Open Streetmap, whichever you like. You can disable all the flight planning tools, and just have the moving map.

2 Likes

Hi @AyEyed,
I have moved your topic into #third-party-addon-discussion:tools-utilities
That area is for discussion on 3rd Party maps. Thank you!

1 Like

Navigraph chart is also a good alternative. and it also updates the default AIRAC into an improved one. But it’s catered for IFR though, and probably not as useful for VFR.

I second Little NavMap. Seriously, it’s one of the best all around flight planners, mapping, and flight tracking tools out there. The fact that it’s freeware is mind-blowing. Even if he were to charge $100 for it, it would still be worth it IMHO.

I would personally suggest making a donation to the author if you end up using it permanently. This will help with further development and support of this amazing tool.

3 Likes

Plan G if you don’t need the complex flight planning capabilities of Little NavMap.

Take a look at my (free) flight planner, which includes a moving map.

2 Likes

Your program looks very useful. I will try it out soon. Have you considered posting it to flightsim.to for more exposure?

1 Like

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m going to give Little Nav Map a go.

Sounds ridiculous but one of the main selling points for me, when it comes to these third party tools, is whether there is a good youtube tutorial! Without it, I’m lost. It just so happens that I found a great one for LNM.

I love this one, you can pop it up while you’re flying just like the built-in VFR Map but it’s so much more detailed:

1 Like

Or the one we use since the early alpha days:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.