Which one to increase first ? Quest 2 render resolution or in game render scale?

Hello,

I just got a quest 2 few days ago and for now I am busy with tweaking it. I read a lot of topics about optimized settings and I would like to ask you about the render resolution/render scale.

Is it better having render resolution at max and a lower in game render scale ?

Or I should prioritize render scale at 100 and lowering rendering resolution ?

My guess would be the first choice, maxing out the oculus render resolution and then tweaking the in game render scale.

I find the gauges and instruments to be pretty blurry in the A32NX even at max render res and 100 render scale. It’s better with other planes.

If I remember correctly I get 22,5 - 25 FPS above NY with the A32NX with max res and 100 render scale.

Of course I know the A32NX is one of the most demanding plane, and flying above NY is demanding too. I’m trying to get correct fps for the “worst case”scenario, knowing it will be better with other planes and and other places.

3060 Ti
5600x
32 GB 3200 cl16

Thanks for advices :wink:

I have a Reverb G1, I recently switched from using a lower Render scale in OpenXR to a lower resolution in-game. I cannot say I have noticed any loss or improvement in either quality or performance, but I figure it is quicker and easier to adjust the resolution in-game.
Otherwise I believe it is necessary to exit VR mode before making the changes… I just feel like this is potentially more likely to cause issues, e.g. increase the risk of a crash, stutters etc.

Hi!

I have a G2 since the first days of August and I personally prefer now to leave in game 100 and change the OpenXR res at 80 as I’ve noticed that the quality is better. If I do the opposite, so in game 80 and OpenXR 100 I see a lot more AA jaggies…

Thanks and have fun!

1 Like

Here we get two opposite opinions ^^

I tried max render resolution in oculus with 80 ig, then 1.0 render resolution in oculus with 100 ig.

It’s difficult to compare since we don’t have to see the two scenarios simultaneously. (Maybe screenshots but if I need to do that then the difference should be marginal).

And you’re right it’s annoying changing it in oculus when tweaking, you need to restart oculus and activate link every time (as disabling vr mode and activate again ig).

Also is it possible to get a clear cockpit in the A32NX ? Even with max render resolution and 100ig it’s pretty blurry (and costs a lot of FPS with my 3060Ti).

I try different mix: put max render resolution (1.5) at 75Hz in oculus and Render scaling to 80 in game, plus I add in OTT Supersample at 1.4. That give me a good qality inside cockpit. In the G1000 I can read all texts on screen without zoom, I need only to guess the small text onto the buttons.
The trick (for Oculus Quest 2 at least) is to reduce in OTT the FOV. I set mine to 0.75/0.65.
Of course this last setting is fully subjective, depend by the PID of your eyes.
My spec: RTX 3070 TI I7-10700F 32Gb 3200

In ODT the supersampling setting is the pixel override setting ?

Default is 0.

Hey there,
I have an almost identical setup to yours for MSFS VR. I’ll be following your advice. Can you share any additional settings that have made a significant difference?

First of I all I’d recommend disabling ASW in Oculus Debug tool (you can find it in the Oculus directory, can’t remember the exact path).

It is supposed to increase fluidity by interpolating (correct me if I’m wrong) but I find it to be very clunky. It makes (at least on my setup) the picture very shaky and produces a lot of artefacts. It kinda ruins the experience in my opinion, even if it increases fluidity.

You can play in many way.
First In oculus set the max resolution at 73 Hz (That is important)
Other important thing is set the minimum FOV you can in OTT
Then core parameters to play with are:

1. Render scaling (on game)
  2. Supersempling in OTT

Try different mix until you find your sweet spot from quality a fluidity.
In VR the smoothness is fondamental to enjoy your immersion.
I can play in VR many hours without any headache or sickness thanks to fluidity.
Better less graphic quality but total fluidity that the opposite.
My 2 cents.

Thank you very much for sharing your recommendations! I’m surprised that you don’t think it’s better to set the frequency rate to 120Hz, but I’ll trust you that (73?) is better.

I’m using similar settings to this, higher resolution on Oculus and OTT, and lower render scale in game.

I also use different render scale for different play style and planes, such as lower scale for better FPS for scenic flight, higher scale for better EFIS readability in airliner.

The the refresh rate frequency has a small impact on quality (from my test), but has a big impact in performance.
The quest 2 try to block your FPS at a multiple number of the frequency you have.
With 73Hz my quest 2 block my fps at 36 ( 1/2 of my frequency) and i get a smooth graphic.
I tested also upper frquency, but without any improvement.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.