Which settings to set in Adrenaline settings and which to set in MSFS?

Greetings!

I have an AMD Radeon RX6800 with 16 gigs VRAM.

The Adrenaline software has a whole host of settings for things like oversampling, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, V-Sync, and so on.

The graphical settings in MSFS duplicate a lot of the driver settings adjusted by Adrenaline.

Which should I be using?  The driver settings?  The settings in MSFS?  Both?  Neither?

Thanks?

I don’t know which is optimal, but I use the sim settings where possible. I do have Adrenalin set to allow free-sync and controlling my overclock, but I think that’s about it in terms of performance.

So, you don’t enable any of the in-driver enhancements?

It makes sense to have only one of the two doing the job, that’s why I asked.

At least I would enable the settings for extended VRAM access (I think it’s called “smart RAM”), and I like the ability to see what the driver thinks it’s doing.

Which of the overclock settings do you use?

I guess I could clarify. For driver only enhancements, there are some I use. I meant if there’s an option of driver or game based, I stick to the game. For SAM specifically, I don’t use that, but it’s because my CPU and mobo are too old to support it (i5-8400). Upgrading those are next on my list, and it’ll be updated then.

For the overclock, that is very card specific, so my settings are not likely to work for you. All I can say is you can start with the Adrenalin auto-OC options, which are going to be conservative, then adjust up and test from there. I tried to undervolt, but I lost on that lotto, not being stable at anything worth using, and it made the OC unstable anyway.

I haven’t found the Adrenaline tool to be very intuitive or well documented, to be honest.

One of the more recommended graphics setting suggestions I’ve seen is to use the GPU driver for 16X anisotropic filters and disable the MSFS setting for “better clouds”, but if my memory serves, the Adrenaline tool says that only DX9 supports this in the driver. I take that to mean if I use it for MSFS, it won’t do anything. Perhaps the anisotropic setting works under DX11/12 for nVidia, but not for AMD.

So, I basically leave the driver settings alone and just use in-game settings.

The only tweaking on hardware settings I do is to turn down the GPU core voltage to 95%. This saves me about 30W of power and heat/temperature at full load with essentially zero change in performance using a benchmark like Unigine Heaven.

This is what I was eluding to about my undervolt issue. It was stable in Heaven, but was giving me issues in MSFS. I may try again at some point to see if updates to MSFS made any difference, but a 25mV undervolt on a 6600XT isn’t saving much power anyway. I also noticed during monitoring the voltage jumps back up to stock much of the time despite the undervolt setting.

General advice: the more load on your gpu the less pressure on mainthread so often it pays to max out gpu and graphic settings, I know I do. Of course to a greater or lesser extent that will reduce fps so it’s really a matter of what suits you and your hardware best.

I also have a RX 6800 coupled with my Ryzen 5900x cpu. I have found that I get the best results by leaving the Adrenalin driver settings at their defaults and using the sim settings (all Ultra; T-LOD 200 @ 4k HDR10; FSR2 - Quality; vsync @ 33% of my monitors 120Hz refresh rate). Buttery smooth.

I do use Adrenalin software to OC my RX 6800 - see below. I do not OC to the max and I set the fans to be more aggressive so as to keep my temps at a reasonable level. I also undervolt my 5900x and no OC on my 32gig memory @3600MHz.

Your mileage and temps may vary with these settings.

Interesting!

Your fan graphs look a lot like mine.

I also turn off automatic fan management on the MOBO and use more aggressive settings for the chassis and CPU fans too.

1 Like