Why are there SO many airfields just north of Anchorage, Alaska?

I was flying around Alaska and noticed an insane number of airfields just north - check it out:

Full video here, 6 minutes in: Anchorage to Kenai Muni, via airport heaven, Alaska, FS2020 - YouTube

I don’t have a good answer. But, I was in Anchorage 2 weeks ago (first time) and there were planes everywhere. Got to see an old DC-6 on the ground. Anyways, Anchorage is close to the mountains and glaciers, and also given the proximity to major city, likely a lot of bush trip for fishing/hunting.

Highly recommended to go in real life :grinning:

I’d be willing to bet most are privately owned by bush pilots, and are used as their home base when not making deliveries.

3 Likes

There are more GA aircraft in Alaska, and particularly around Anchorage than probably anywhere else on earth. Alaskans rely on them for all sorts of their daily business.

2 Likes

Because in real life there are strips all over the place north of Anchorage.

2 Likes

There’s not much suitable road networks in Alaska and it’s so big 178 small countries could actually fit in Alaska so GA aircraft are the main mode of transportation

1 Like

I think Alaska also holds a record (so I’ve been told) for the most unlicensed pilots in the U.S as well.

Thanks all, found an interesting article on flying in Alaska https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/deadly-myth-alaskan-bush-pilot/

1 Like

They do have big enough air fields that they have at least 1 737 flight into some of them for cargo and passenger flights they did have 1 737 flight into Burrow Alaska