Why can't I get rid of this ridiculous icing effect!

As in the title. Anybody any idea what files to delete to bin this icing nonsense?

Edit: I have icing turned OFF in assistance settings.

I barely get any icing. Enough to notice but not like before when the aircraft was a flying icecube

4 Likes

I’m flying an aircraft where windshield heat does not work on GPU, and on stand everything continuously ices up. I find this icing effect an enormously annoying feature.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this too. This icing effect needs a revamp of work. Aircraft do not ice up like this in real life.

12 Likes

You can reduce it I believe via the dev option.

1 Like

I know there is a option hidden somewhere, but I’ve turned icing effect off, why the 
 is it still there.

1 Like

I don’t seem to get any ice at all flying the Kodiak, regardless of the conditions.

1 Like

First of all, when I look at streams it seems many pilots are simply not aware of conditions where icing can occur. They fly into thick dark clouds when the temperature is seriously low and then are surprised they get iced up.

They also do not seem to understand the difference between anti-icing and de-icing. Anti-icing is good and de-icing is when you are already in deep doodoo. De-icing is not a miracle cure, many aircraft crashed because of icing with all de-icing systems on max. Not saying there are no issues in the sim, but what I see online is often avoidable. As we see it right now the main issue is icing that you get on the ground and that you can’t get rid of before take-off.

In the last two days, I have seen 5 streams of our soon-to-be-released Twin Otter. Three were on Antarctica and two on Lukla. In three of those flights, I saw traces of ice on the windows and warned the pilot. In every case, they managed to handle the ice by using all systems and avoiding problematic areas or altitudes. Now we spend a massive amount of time to get the icing model right on the Twin Otter and when you take care you will even trace amounts of ice so you can prepare.

Let’s put it this way. I saw some pilots taking off looking like this and getting into problems. Go figure

When in flight and in an aircraft that models icing correctly keep an eye on the windshield wipers. When you see ice on them you know you are in dire straights and need to take action. Fast. Immediate.

Mathijs Kok
Aerosoft

19 Likes

Off topic but very cool shots :+1:

2 Likes

I fly in northern Europe (Baltics and Scandinavia mainly) and I have done so for years on all kind of aircraft including turboprops. I think I know what icing looks like :joy:. The Asobo implementation of it is :poop:. They simply looked at the frost on their Citroen or Peugeot in the morning and thought, this is what icing looks like on an aircraft in flight. And that is exactly what it looks like, it looks like an aircraft being parked overnight in freezing conditions.

Ice only forms on frontal surfaces, nose, leading edges, antennas, engine inlets, propellers and spinners. Not on sides of the fuselage, cabin windows and side of vertical stabilizer. Ice forming on the windshields in flight looks completely different. Apart from all that, the aircraft doesn’t pick-up ice when its snowing and ice doesn’t nearly form as violently in most cases. I can see the windshield icing up in seconds in snowy conditions on ground, that is clearly nonsense.

I don’t agree with your description of anti-icing versus de-icing. There is no such thing as anti-icing being good and de-icing being bad. The working principle is just different. Anti-icing is switched ON before entering icing conditions and usually consist of heated surfaces, either electrically or using bleed air. De-icing systems usually come in the form of pneumatic boots and they simply rely on ice to form on the leading edges first before removing it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the use of de-icing systems, it doesn’t mean :poop: has hit the fan. De-icing systems are used all the time and is a completely normal situation. When the rate of ice accretion exceeds the capability of the de-/anti-icing systems to remove the ice, that is when you are in trouble (this is the definition of severe icing).

I wish Asobo modelled some ice accretion on the wipers or icing evidence probe (if installed) to give you an indication you are in icing conditions and left it with that. No icing effect at all is more realistic than the current implementation of it.

I can already see a problem with the ice on the windshields of your Twin Otter, ice accretion on the windshield in flight does not look like that. Also your side-window is covered in ice, won’t happen in real life. I think I can even see the cabin windows covered in ice.

16 Likes

The straight answer that no one mentioned yet is the option in assistance settings where you can set icing to “off” or “visual” or “full” depending on your preference.

3 Likes

Not sure the current status but in the past that setting has never had any effect. It was ‘fixed’ in one of the sim updates so it would work again - so the setting ‘visual only’ or ‘off’ would not actually affect weight & balance. Even after the fix, the setting would not work at random. With icing set to off you will still pick up ice and weight.

2 Likes

Yea. He was just plugging his new product.

1 Like

That one doesn’t turn off the visuals, thats exactly the problem.

1 Like

I found it needed a SIM restart to have effect, but it did work for me.

I did, still no success.

Bah. What a business. If you have an external peripheral and use something like SPAD you can set various de-icing events up which will get rid of the icing (slightly aircraft dependent). I used this to get a clear windshield in the Asobo PC-6

I’ll give it a try, still its a workaround for something that should just work

Are you flying a stock or a 3rd party plane?
It could be that some 3rd party aircraft have programmed the icing effect in a different way. If that’s the case I suggest trying a stock airplane to see whether the setting is actually holding or not.

Totally agree, but one annoying aspect is that because the live weather is so inaccurate it doesn’t even match up with the meteoblue forecast data on which it is supposed to be based, nor even the new METAR’s, flight planning is impossible and so sometimes one has to fly into ice because there is no way to avoid it.