Why do we need scenery updates if we use downloaded data anyway?

Class 3 data $20/sq mi
Class 2 data $100/sq mi
Class 1 data $1000/sq mi

Well no one has this feature at all we’ll go for the class 3 data? Bwhahahahah!

Yes those are completely made up facts, but just to show an example of why.

1 Like

Oh Pleeeeese!

We’re not talking about some organization with three people and the boss’ dog, we’re talking about a gigantic, multi-national corporation that’s advertising a flight simulator that is supposed to walk on water, talk to the angels and sit at the right hand of God.

And their pockets are at least as deep as Google’s.  Not to mention that this kind of data can be used over and over again.

Sigh. . . .

But you have to remember this isnt a simulator per say, its an advertisement to show just how good the Azure network is. If it starts making Azure look bad, theres a good chance that MS will just pull the plug on the whole project and all will be gone. IMHO

1 Like

We’re talking about an organization that spends as little money as possible, they have the worst store out of everyone, they have no dedicated physical servers, just cloud servers, which explains why every one of their multiplayer games struggle with server issues, Bing is literally an afterthought, they tried “competing” with Google Maps but they don’t want to spend the money Google has to have the same quality map imagery

1 Like

MSFS has SCENERY! Bing, Google, Apple MAPs are not even close to what MSFS provides. All the map makers display 2D maps and do some tilt and rotate to fake 3D. And it is really good fake 3D for its purpose. MSFS (and other flight simulators) are flying through a virtual “real” 3D world. Even though Bing maps provides part of the scenery foundation, it is not the only information source for MSFS. There are drones and airplanes that photograph our world that feed into MSFS scenery generation. Even if we could download all of Bing Maps or Google maps, there would still need to be additional processing.

MSFS scenery is not perfect and parts might be “old”. MSFS scenery is NOT supposed to real time but a simulation of our world that we fly through.

1 Like

Now thats a name I haven’t heard in a long time

1 Like

Agreed.

However, a simulation that doesn’t resemble real life, at least at some level, isn’t a simulation.   It’s a fantasy world wannabe that’s wearing momma’s shoes and pretending to be all grown up.

Scenery?

Scenery that’s so dated, (and what IS there is so inaccurate), that when I fly over somewhere I’ve lived for decades, I don’t even recognize it?

Scenery that bears no resemblance to reality and doesn’t even correspond to the VFR sectionals?

Scenery that is missing hundred-meter tall landmarks that have been around since the 1930’s?

This isn’t scenery, this is fantasy, a poor wannabe excuse for scenery that impresses no one who has ever been within a thousand miles of any of these places.

Go talk to the Canadians who just downloaded the new Canada World Update and who noticed that just about every major city in Canada looks like the set for a post-nuclear apocalypse horror movie. One poster went so far as to suggest that Microsoft/Asobo forgot to include the hordes of zombies!

Fly out of JFK and fly over Long Island. Major landmarks like the Shorham Nuclear Power Station, or the conventional power station in Port Jefferson (along with the rest of the city), are missing.

Bald hill and all the antennas there? Nope.

Try flying out of Ostafiavo (UUMO) and fly North toward Moscow.

Major landmark objects for VFR flight are missing. Butovo Park, Yuzhno Butovo, huge Gazprom power stations, even the “Seven Tall Buildings” that were built by Stalin before the second world war are missing. The MCAD, a 12-lane super-highway that rings Moscow, (like the Beltway around DC), is rendered as a quiet residential boulevard with a grassy median.

I lived on Long Island for decades and I visit there frequently. I’ve lived within about six kilometers of Ostafiavo for years. None of this “scenery” in MSFS has any vague resemblance to reality.

Other flight simms, though perhaps not so lush, have scenery that is, at the very least, recognizable. I can find major landmarks. If I get lost, a quick “360” will show me something I recognize that will help me get back on track.

Please. I spent $120+ on MSFS to make sure I had the very best they could do, and I am sorely disappointed.

I spent $60 on another simm, and I have scenery that is based on some semblance of reality and airplanes that behave mostly like they’re supposed to do.

No simulation is easy to do. All of this is incredibly difficult and mistakes are the programmer’s stock-in-trade.

But it’s difficult to understand how a small company working out of someone’s house can do a better job than a huge multi-national company and a game/animation studio with the finest equipment money can buy and a fleet of (supposedly) world class programmers.

Scenery? With scenery like that, who needs enemies?

I wonder where the line needs to be drawn for the majority of customers to be happy with what we have?

For example:

If your street is there but your newly built house isn’t, will it be enough?

If your house is there but the porch you built last year isn’t, will it be enough?

If the porch is there but the dog house you built six months ago isn’t there, will it be enough?

If the dog house is there but the plant pots you bought from Walmart last month aren’t outside the front door, will it be enough?

1 Like

Never mind that. I’m disgusted that the ant nest I spotted the other day in the courtyard is not represented. A disgrace!

2 Likes

Closed by OP request.