Why does native resolution not look like native resolution?

You might want to review the information I’ve posted in “VR Technology Explained” in this topic:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) :green_circle: - Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I’ve been wondering the same a little bit but it doesn’t take long to realizing FS2020 is not taking advantage of VR specific and lens-oriented rendering. It is clearly visible in the 2D stereoscopic view where you can see the 20% pixels in the center of the image are covering 80% of what you actually see in the headset (figures are just for illustration here), whereas the other pixels remaining (80% of what is rendered) displays on 20% of the HMD panels in view (and even then, half of them are outside the view boundaries).

This where increasing super sampling in the center and decreasing sampling on the periphery might be a way to restoring higher clarity where it matters the most.

For example NVidia is offering specific technologies and libs to help with this and even if you’re not using NVidia tech you can certainly do a lot of the same things with a little bit of GPU Shader code. I’ve tried a few of their older demos showing the benefit of “Lens Match Shading” for example and this didn’t help much the fps but this helped increasing perceived resolution:

VRWorks - Lens Matched Shading | NVIDIA Developer

They now have more sophisticated techniques but they might not be usable as-is in FS2020:

Turing Variable Rate Shading in VRWorks | NVIDIA Developer Blog

You can download and try some of their dev demos on your system:

Download Center | NVIDIA Developer

2 Likes