Why not "2024 Upgrade Edition" instead?

Right. So by “investing” I don’t mean “buying”. I’d been buying Fifa year after year from 1994 until 2016 or so. The same for Football/Championship Manager and many other yearly franchises. I never felt like I was investing anything other than my own time and obviously buying the game itself. I meant to say investing in 3rd party stuff, be it software or hardware or whatever supports the game and increases immersion.

With Fifa and CoD this is not a thing, unless you take “micro”-transactions into account, which I don’t care about. With flight sims there are people who spend thousands of dollars or more, in buying 3rd party software/hardware expecting to have a stable platform that doesn’t get overhauled every year.

1 Like

Right, I’m with you! In the same way that WoW players will invest actual money buying cosmetic items for a game they love.

The only external hardware I’ve ever bought to support a title were for this, Elite: Dangerous, and recently a wheel/pedals for ATS.

1 Like

At least that’s what you’d like to think. It’s not actually true when you buy elsewhere, none of the other sim markets contribute to Microsoft’s costs.

That’s only the number of steam users, you do not know the number of MS Store or Xbox users from these figures.

It was never said specifically, it was something along the lines of ‘we aim to work on flight simulator for at least the next 10 years, hopefully longer’, to paraphrase. It was said generally to the franchise and was not specific to MSFS (2020) on its own.

2 Likes

During a discussion concerning the events of 2006, wherein Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) and Aces Studio ceased operations, Jorg expressed a firm stance by stating, “It can never happen again.” Subsequently, he explained his intent with MSFS, emphasizing that MS commitment extended 10 years thereby affirming their dedication to MSFS. In other words, Jorg then underscored what he meant to say: “We are in it for the long run.” That declaration alone should undoubtedly elicit a profound sense of enthusiasm and anticipation among the world of flight simulation, resonating at the highest level of significance to all simmers and developers. MSFS2020 was only the beginning.

3 Likes

Then don’t buy 2024.

Was MSFS your first game? First sim? First sequel?

Game Pass is a $120+ per year investment. That is hardly, “For free.”

It is like Netflix for games, and MSFS 2024 will be like a new season of a Netflix show after enjoying a first season full of content.

But you know? If you aren’t getting two or more games worth playing per year off Game Pass, you are better off buying the new sim… or you know? Not buying it and sticking with the sim(s) you own.

You drew all these conclusions from a two minute XBOX Studios showcase trailer?

I really may be coming from a different place, with going on 1,000 hours of in sim flight time, and who knows how many more hours in sim? But I struggle to think of many games that have given me more hours of entertainment per dollar spent on the base game.

There are many games I paid full price for, and finished in 20 hours… and LIKED the experience so much I couldn’t wait for a sequel. I cannot in good faith get upset at a sequel for my favorite sim franchise after the hours I have willingly sunk into flying in MSFS (2020).

At the very least, it will continue to work for 2020… you know? The sim you bought the upgrade package to work with. It also may be backwards compatible but who knows? Nothing yet has been announced. It seems pretty obvious from context clues that they could easily port these upgrade packages over and use them in the next sim. So I don’t see why they wouldn’t. It could mean more revenue for something they have already completed making.

Infact they have aready said if it’s a marketplace purchase it’s virtually assured to work in the new sim, by extension that will also apply to the premium/deluxe version aircraft especially as they are pure Asobo.