Why not use Torrent for updates?

Yes , Torrent.
Link in a sticky in “News and Announcements”
Maybe mail the users ( goes in one click for as many as needed , nowadays )

Let the MSFS 2020 community help it out.

MSFS 2020 is totally protected and originated at 2 sources only ( as I undestand it ).
MS Store or XBOX platform validates user account and proof of purchase…
Steam the same.
Finally , the “real product” only servers its pourpose if it is used “online”

So ?

No mounstruous cloud servers to pay for and bandwith to deal with.

Every one involved would contribute.

One big compressed file with each folder updated + launcher + installer file in it.

Am I missing something ?

Greetings

1 Like

Torrents, by design, are insecure. You would also have to build a torrent client into MSFS and we can only ask the gods themselves what problems that would cause.

9 Likes

I’m not an expert but i think with torrents anybody could ship malware with every update. You are not downloading from a secure server and with torrents Asobo can’t guarantee clean files.

2 Likes

How so ?

Not at all. The Software just would read from a local source instead of “download - decompress”

There is a Hash for autenticity…

Thank for comments, my silly idea…
but ???

Could be a good idea for those with poor connection when downloading huge files during updates.

I am wondering what Steam is using?

There’s not a lot of security code built into torrents. You’re downloading from another person’s files essentially; not a secured server.

If torrents were insecure Linux would be in trouble

2 Likes

Torrents download data from multiple machines. Who owns those machines? hard to say, and there is potential, as noted by another, that the data could be tampered with and essentially pollute the Torrent with malware so new users joining the torrent get infected files and subsequently distribute those files to others. Microsoft would simply not allow it, even if the chance is slim. There would be potential legal liability and the level of trust needed for users to accept this distribution method is unlikely to be forthcoming.

1 Like

right !

So you check it on processing.

1 Like

I would.

And I have been “PcComputing” since 1981.

And my impression is that “Torrent” or P2P has been demonized because of its widespread use for distributing illegal “copies” of pretty much everything.

Not insecure in itself. Files can be checked before use.

Greetings

3 Likes

its never going to happen,. so we have to live with this not friendly update scheme,
no issues for me sofar, but its a chore.

1 Like

MS and Steam stage their downloads on cloud systems, and almost certainly use caching / content delivery networks to distribute the content around the world. This likely applies both to the software/update downloads, as well as the scenery data. This doesn’t mean “monstrous cloud servers”, it means lots of smallish systems which serve lots of data, not just FS.

Torrents add risk and reduce security. And plenty if users (like me) would say “hell, no” and block torrent access anyway.

Almost two decades of experience! :wink:

And yet Windows updates are already distributed this way.
In the last two weeks, my PC has downloaded 183 MB updates directly from Microsoft and 586 MB from various other Windows users. My PC has also uploaded more than 700 MB to other users.
The technology is here. Microsoft is already using it. It shouldn’t be that hard to make it work in MSFS too.

1 Like

ok. I just put this because I have read that stament in this same forum as an excuse for the troublesome download process we have now.
I take your point.

Not sure what that even means or what you are referring to.

Try to type “Activity monitor settings” in Windows. There you’ll see how much your windows installation has used other PC’s for distributing updates.

Whatever is is your seeing on that window has nothing to do with distributing updates. For the record, under all categories for me it shows N/A which makes sense since I have no other computers on my network and I do not remote access other systems from my network.

Perhaps this will shed some light on what they are talking about…

Sure it has: Windows update → Advanced options → Delivery Optimization. Here it says it applies to Windows and Store app updates.
Read more here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-delivery-optimization