Why there are no cornfields rendered in the sim?

Okay, we have grass in meadows and fields (although still not short-cut on runways). Why are there no cornfields at all? With AI(Blackshark) it should be possible to represent grain areas by recognizing typical color and shape instead of showing empty fields.

12 Likes

This aspect of the sim is still a big ‘opportunity’ and all wrapped up with the idea of seasons. When would you want corn fields? If AI based it off of the satellite imagery, it would just reinforce the fact that currently we have a mish-mash of every season of the year … often in very close proximity to each other.

Asobo claim they are planning to add seasons next year. It will be very interesting to see how that is done.

5 Likes

Most of current satellite/aerial data is captured during summer season and there you have those yellow or golden fields which I would instantly recognize as grain fields.
Having different datasets for different seasons will not happen. We will only get a shader based representation of spring or fall. Just like the snow cover for winter we have now (with white grass!)

3 Likes

I’m sure Bijan Habashi will figure something out one day for it.

10 Likes

I’d hope they do better than that, but afraid you’re probably right!

I think cornfields would be a nice contrast to all the green we have now.

2 Likes

At the moment I would be pleased if Asobo had a lawnmower.

5 Likes

I am sure it’s possible – the sim is only a year old though. Give it time. They’ve got quite a few other pressing bugs to squash first. See how I incorporated a vegetable pun? Squash? :wink:

4 Likes

That could be Asobo’s next addon after Top Gun:Maverick. Microsoft Lawnmower simulator

2 Likes

Going to need a new HOTAS for that one (Hands on Trowel and Shears)

yardworksimulator

10 Likes

Too late!! LOL

11 Likes

Avionics issues? Who cares. I want cornfields rendered!

Hehe, kidding around here just poking fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Who knows tbh, but I wouldn’t expect it any time soon, if ever. I just feel like there will always be higher priority items to work on, at least for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps in several years as the sim matures these things will become more of a realistic possibility IMO but time will tell.

The future is bright for MSFS.

“The cornfields, Ted, the cornfields!”

Maybe they’re too… corny?

4 Likes

They might add corn fields at some point, but you’ll probably have to wheat a bit longer
:grinning:

Regards
Steve

5 Likes

That just goes against my grain.

5 Likes

See we’ve got some cereal jokers on here today…

6 Likes

It’s corny.

3 Likes

Yes seasons will be very interesting to see as I am not sure how you make satellite pixels come alive as they don’t actually represent any object at a programming level.

Ahem…

3 Likes