Why us 'oldies' are maybe less critical

This is about the best I could manage. This is KMKE, with, and without “fog”:

by the way, it is possibly the angle of the screengrab. Just started a flight on the runway in MSFS and took a screengrab.
Maastricht Aachen 22

I am glad that there are simulators catering for your needs and you dont need to rely on MSFS. By the way, I gather that the Sim is not recommended for actual flight training by MS. So best be careful doing that. But for me what I have seen is plenty foggy enough. No idea about CAT etc.
But a good demonstration about different expectations of the same software.
I dont envy Asobo/MS having to try and satisfy all expectations.
But it seems to me that simulating CAT III should be simple enough, just grey out the screen.

its just a screengrab of stock 172 starting flight at end of runway. nothing done.

Maybe he should consider wearing a hood.
Years ago, when I was working on my commercial license, my instructor had me take off under the hood.
It works. It simulates ZERO visibility outside the cockpit.

1 Like

Yes I heard about that. They do that also in the professional simulators I believe?
Shields you from seeing the outside. Sounds like a great recommendation.

The wonderful thing about this thread is that is has no real topic so it’s impossible to off topic. Very helpful. Now if I could only just remember the original reason I was going to post something.

6 Likes

You seem to be going off thread here!

Please post on topic.

Only kidding :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That was a good one ! Actually made me break out in a big smile… for real !
Super Happy Flying

1 Like

well yes almost. But the underlying direction of the thread is the difference in attitude to the Sim
its highs and lows of the older simmers with long memories of things past and younger simmers who never saw the start of it all and are possibly more critical. The opposite positions to some elements when seeing it as a Game or as a ‘Flight Simulator’.

Clearly what is important to one is quite uninteresting to somebody else.
It does seem a theme throughout this thread that indeed the older simmers are more tollerant of short comings. Asobo/MS though have to try and please everybody, but with the same piece of software.

1 Like

You mean to say this is a thread about is it a game or a sim ?

[Places hand over mouth in expression of horror and revulsion whilst backing towards the door]

no it is about perception if it is a Game or Simulator.
and there, my dear Watson, lies the rub.

I’m. Not. Sure. That. Is. Any. Better. It. May. Be. Worse.

I mean doesn’t the game The Sims literally stand for simulator and yet it’s a game that simulates living life. The Sims is a series of life simulation video games. So a GAME that simulates. Always a game. MSFS is a game that simulates flying. Applying it to being used on Xbox, well Xbox is a gaming console. So there’s that as well.

But isn’t it the case that quantum theory suggests that our universe is likely to be a simulation meaning that all games therein are infact really simulations?

On a separate note, I have this pin and I’m wondering if any of you can tell me how many angels might dance on its head?

2 Likes

It is, Simply, a Flight Simulator Game… :airplane: … for Oldies, Newbies and Everyone in Between.

1 Like

To some people MSFS is simply a game but to others it is a sim.

I am guessing that it is those people who see it as a sim (and who have higher expectations and who are more aware of its limitations) who are more critical. So maybe criticism is determined more by this than a person’s age?

Of course, this presupposes that the game is well optimised and bug free. If this isn’t the case then it’s a whole different ball game and a different question comes to mind: ‘Are “oldies” more tolerant?’. I would counter ‘no’ but that is just my opinion.

Anyway interesting thread and one of the few here which happily doesn’t reveal my woeful lack of piloting knowledge :rofl:

1 Like

I suspect the people who prefer to call the product a Sim are folks who would be bothered by spending a large amount of time playing a game.

Actually it is a computer simulator teaching/simulating us how to get the best setup for your systems configs by a simulated flight screensaver

1 Like

To be a proper sim the aircraft need to fly the way they do in movies, the way normal people think they should fly.

None of this nonsense with real world pilots stating “facts” . We all know that for important matters it is opinion backed up by YouTube and Tik Tok that counts, the actual facts of the matter whilst no doubt interesting are totally irrelevant.

1 Like