Wideview 2021

Luciano Napolitano has released the first working version of Wideview for MSFS. This lets us experiment with multi-channel setups, although there are some restrictions in terms of functionality.

This is very cool, although it’s early days yet. When / if we get more control over the views etc it will become possible to have wraparound displays, albeit using multiple PCs and sim instances.

1 Like

Nice as an option, especially for full home cockpit owners. But IMHO, the need to have 3 high end computers, 3 copies of add-ons, and triple the amount of internet bandwidth; is quite an overkill for most of the simmers. I’d rather have MSFS implement the native multiple display support.

2 Likes

Sure - I want the multi-display support as much as anyone else. But multi-channel is a must in the really complex simpits, triple-projector or six-monitor setups, that sort of thing. Nice to have it when you need it.

1 Like

I still love this wideview more than stretched frontview over three monitors or if they will support multiple screen in different angle setups than this forum can use 2.5 petabyte space to cover all the critics of the users. :rofl: lol
Because there high end simpit is only to perform 10 fps or less. I’ve seen this happening with fsx open multi window and frames are dropped like rocks from the sky.

But for wideview it’s different coz it put cliënt in slave mode and slew it along all it has to do is get different angle and render, so don’t throw youre old computer to the side on ebay or so, but be gentle to it and put it next to your new rig and consider wideview.
I used it for fs2004 and fsx and found it an excellent solution, haven’t tried it for msfs 2020 yet but in future i will.

There is a working demo to download from Luciano’s site

By the way here is a video my very old setup glue together with wideview, it took me about 1.5 hour to start it all up but really worth it.

Hi there team.
Does anyone know how to get WidevieW to realise that I am connected to the internet so that I can register the product?

If you go to the wideview.it site there is a link that says “registrationhelp” if you click on that than
It tell you exactly how to register.

Thank you - now fixed.

1 Like

I have followed Luciano’s advice in the wideview manual and bought a 2nd network card, so that I can channel wideview through that and leave my 1st network card for MSFS, etc., as I imagine both use a lot of data.

Currently I have all my PCs, including my wideview server and wideview client, on the 1st network (gateway 192.168.1.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0) and all connected to the internet via a gigabyte switch.

I will add the 2nd network card to my wideview server. If my 2nd network card has a default gateway of, say, 10.0.0.1, I would add into the wideview config 10.0.0.255, that bit I understand as per the manual. Is that it, can my wideserver server and client stay on the 192.168.1.1 ip ?

Thx

Im not quite shure, but to me al clients need internet connection and need connection through lan so probably all clients need also this ethernet card, but i think it is best to contact luciano by mail or faq
And he can inform you.

In older versions of wideview it was easy for you had not need streaming data through the internet
But msfs uses this so let say 3 pc need streaming data, and ip over lan so i would say multiple connections needed

Thanks, yes you are right, my wideview client will need an internet connection and I have sent a message to Luciano, no answer so far.

I found the attached article, if you look at “Case 1” this seems to be the way to go, with the wideview client on the local network, but having access to the internet via the other network. To achieve this it seems you leave the default gateway on the wideview client empty, it then uses the other network’s card gateway, as the subnet mask is the same. As it states there (note the host would be my wideview client):

“It is important to leave the default gateway blank on the NIC #2 settings for the host machine. In this way, only the NIC #1 default gateway will be used, which is what we want in order to access the internet from the host

https://www.ni.com/pt-br/support/documentation/supplemental/11/best-practices-for-using-multiple-network-interfaces–nics–with.html

It could be so ,
But simplified i i would say for all pc get internet connection on their onboard lan connection given ip cfg through youre router.

The plugged in extra ethernetcard will be connected through a hub with lan cable.
these are given local ip so 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3
With the first is main pc (Host) and the other 2 pc are clients
The clients receive data regarding altitude, speed, angle of attack, hydraulics, etc
The clients follow the movement of the master and slew along but need the scenery to display so this is why each pc needs it own internet connection just to display this scenery.
And the second ethernetcards handles data communication on local network to concearning wideview.

Anyway this is how i understand simming with wideview

Yes, this look all correct, the client PCs need internet connection so that MSFS can stream data. The way set out in the link above seems to do just that: the clients will have a different IP, (eg 10.1.1.5) same subnet (255.255.255.0), you just leave the IP gateway blank and it will then use the network card that is connected to the internet (eg 192.168.1.10)

Different from what you said, the clients will be on a different IP (eg 10.x.x.x) and not the same as the network card attached to the internet (192.x.x.x), but they will still access the intenet

I think both ways will work aas long as the master is communicate with the clients, through ip over lan but you need reliable internet connection with plenty of download and uploud bandwith because
Msfs can stream loads of data and im not even mentioned mandatory updates.
So be ready

Good luck and send us some pictures of your simpit or youtube streams

Hi,
I have 2 user ids and MSFS copies on 2 PCs. My client has 3 1080p TVs on a NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti with 6 Gig. The main monitor is using a USB - HDMI adapter.

The TVs are connected as 1 wide monitor using NVIDIA software.

Receiving 50-60 fps. No issues with execution.

Does anyone have any input? I want to use 3 MSFS rendered windows instead of the stretched single MSFS window.

Will WidevieW work with this configuration? I realize the GPU may not be strong enough.

I don’t want to spend on more PCs/MSFS copies. And before I invest in a stronger GPU, I would like to know if WidevieW would drive rendered windows in MSFS.

Thanks

Hi @DrDave9011
What you can try in the setup, is window your views and create with experimental 2 new windows and set them to the left and the right of the main tv, if that is what you mean if it is the clientpc, and for a start to see how it behaves, i believe you can even have the three screens in surround mode