Wilga Bush Racing Series - Hollywood, L.A, USA - FUN RACE EVENT

Come and join us in The Wilga Bush Racing Series!*

*Wilga encouraged, but not required :slight_smile:

Casual group flights with a focus on fun and a bit of friendly “semi-racing” competition in some stunning locations.

If you do own the Wilga, we are using the 35X or 80X, but feel free to join in any Bush type aircraft if you don’t have the Willy!

NEXT EVENT:

Hollywood, L.A., USA, Retro 1930’s Hollywood Hills Race.
Sunday 2nd April at 13:00Z / UTC (GMT = 14:00)

Ideally please install this mod to make it more fun: Gable Field - Vintage Air Race and Airfield set in 1930's Los Angeles for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

(Also please check the Dependencies, as there are a few other packages required to make everything visible).

SUMMARY:

AIRCRAFT: Wilga 35X or 80X (or similar performance light GA / bush plane)
MEET: Hollywood Burbank Bob Hope, USA - [KBUR] (RWY15 is correct take-off direction). There is an airfield added as part of the Mod suggested to use (KRKT), but for our Xbox friends we will start together at Burbank.
WHEN: Sunday 2nd April 2023 at 13:00Z / UTC (GMT = 14:00)
SERVER: West Europe
REGISTER: Post your name here or just turn up a little before the time and we’ll see you there. Feel free to Join my Discord (link below)
FUEL: 100% filled
LIVERY: Any DEFAULT Wilga livery (important so we see each others Willys :smiley: )
ENGINE REALISM: On
FLIGHT PLAN: Meet at the airfield. Ideally join my Discord Voice Radio Channel so we can synchronise starting and talk during the event.
RACE: Unlimited laps but let’s just have fun! Nothing strict, just some stunts’racin’n’fun

MORE INFO:

This is a really nice and short course with some climbs and dips but not to the point of risky shock cooling this time :slight_smile:

The mod flattens part of the current-day city to how it was in the 1930’s (I assume!) so to make it same for everyone we will start at the Bob Hope Airport just 1 minute north of the actual race start point. I have tested the course without the mod and it’s just low buildings there so won’t affect pilots without the mod too much (other than you won’t see the gates, but the course is easy to remember with points of interest to easily follow).

Basic route guide

See this video: MSFS | Wilga 80X (by Got Friends) at Hollywood | Race Testing (awesome Gable Field retro freeware) - YouTube

• Anti-Clockwise course (with some right turns / slalom).
  • We will extend the course so that people without the mod (on Xbox or whatever) still have similar visual reference and the same course length. Meaning, the turning point will be a left turn around the CONTROL TOWER at KBUR (not in the video but y9ou can see the tower a bit further ahead before I turn left)
  • Follow me for the first lap if unsure, to get your bearings
  • After the first straight, slight left and head over the ruins
  • Through the V of the first hills and immediate right, hugging the other side of that ridge to your right wing
  • 90 degree left, over the lake / dam
  • 90 degree left over another right, then slalom to gate on left and back to the right (short distance)
  • Over the observatory the steep down
  • Hug the hill on the left, flying parallel over the highway for a moment
  • Back up through the bumpy valley on your left - aim for the gap in the trees almost directly north.
  • Down the other side with the ruins on your left, keeping the warehouse building directly in front
  • Aim back to the Bob Hope control tower, turn left around that and round we go again!

Join my Discord to find out more and get involved.

4 Likes

Just to clarify, on the fs.to page the Dependencies are not listed in the usual place, but in the DESCRIPTION text. It is these 3 extras (which you will probably already have anyway):

1. Mikea.at - AssetPack » Microsoft Flight Simulator
  2. PBK Effects Library » Microsoft Flight Simulator
  3. Windy Things » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Also I think I made an error and 14:00 Zulu / GMT is actually 1 hour ahead of UTC on this date, so it will be 13:00 UTC. Why do they keep changing! :smiley:

I just test flew the Gable Field course, and wow what a course you curated, @Baracus250! A significant portion of Burbank has mysteriously been transported back in time, which is lovely to say the least. And the course! Twists, turns, streak right past the Hollywood sign right on over to a zeppelin, which I now want in my hangar/aerodrome, too!!! Truly a masterful selection. This course will be awesome with or without the scenery, super fun and a challenge especially the downdrafts over the bumpy hills.

Thanks man! Yeah it’s a pretty good one and I like the 30’s art deco feel to it! I hope everyone’s PC can handle being this close to L.A. photogrammetry?

It is a bit too long of a straight stretch to reach the control tower at Bob Hope then turn back to the hills but it will be fine. Good contrast to the twisty parts and getting a good turn close around the tower without losing speed will be interesting, like a sailing race! hehe :slight_smile:

Maybe we should force everyone to do 1 loop-the-loop on each straight (north then south) to make that part more intense?! :slight_smile:

Oooh yes!! I hope we have a nice strong wind on live weather on Sunday!! :imp:

1 Like

Last night I took the KA-10 through the course, it performs pretty well! Not quite as fast as Wilma X, but fast enough, and you can do high-speed touch and go’s on the water surfaces. Too bad the zeppelin is not land-able.

Good on you for trying though!
If it was realistic and your rotor blades hit it, it should pop like a balloon and shoot off like a rocket in one direction (probably sideways rather than forward unless you managed to cut a hole in the back!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heh, yeah, a deflated zeppelin soaring across the sky would be quite a sight! I really really want a complete zeppelin model. At some point, the zeppelin should contain its own aircraft hangar and retrieval hook system: USS Macon & Sparrowhawks - YouTube

Sorry folks - just to clarify the START TIME (as the clocks have scuppered me again!!)

13:00 Zulu / UTC (this is GMT = 14:00)

I promise I will get a handle on this for future!!

Some screenies from todays race.

Great pics!! I am bummed to have missed today’s flight, looks like everyone had a really good time! Hopefully I’ll be able to join the next one!

Saw that you took the penny racer for lap! I tried her today at Seattle, BIG FUN. Evocative of some weird childhood memeory, hmm wonder what it could be???

1 Like