Wilga Bush Racing Series | Pyrenees, Spain | STOL CHALLENGE

Come and join us in The Wilga Bush Racing Series!*

*Wilga encouraged, but not required :slight_smile:

Casual group flights with a focus on fun and a bit of friendly “semi-racing” competition in some stunning locations. If you do own the Wilga, we are using the 35X or 80X, but feel free to join in any Bush type aircraft if you don’t have the Willy!

NEXT EVENT:

Pyrenees, Spain
Saturday 6th May 2023 at 16:00 UTC (17:00 GMT)

Server: will try East USA to see if it’s any better for @OneMoreBulleit

Going to do something a little different for this event.
This is a STOL Rally. I have made a “spiral” flight plan (download below), which should take around 2 hours (including time for a bit of a stop for everyone to land at each leg, but we won’t hang around for long - quick turn-arounds).

SUMMARY:

AIRCRAFT: Wilga 35X or 80X (or similar performance light GA / bush plane)
MEET: Sotonera Airstrip [LES4]
WHEN: Saturday 6th May 2023 at 16:00 UTC (17:00 GMT)
SERVER: East USA
REGISTER: Post your name here or just turn up a little before the time and we’ll see you there. Feel free to Join my Discord (link below)
FUEL: 100% filled
LIVERY: Any DEFAULT Wilga livery (important so we see each others Willys :smiley: )
ENGINE REALISM: On (please, but see the route guide - it’s not required if you prefer not to deal with Shock Cooling on this course!)
FLIGHT PLAN: Download PLN here: Dropbox - PYRENEES BUSH TOUR - Baracus.PLN - Simplify your life
Meet at LES4 airfield. Ideally join my Discord Voice Radio Channel so we can synchronise starting and talk during the event.

MORE INFO:

Please install this mod if you can:

Our Flight Plan includes all but 1 of the new (fictional) landing spots in the mod, so you will need to install that. Reason I didn’t include the final location is it’s just too far away only to backtrack again to be worth adding 30 mins to the flight, but the others are unique and are really worth visiting so hope you can stick with us to the end!

It will start off gently, passing by a POI and some lush visuals, then more intense in the middle with some mountains making it a bit on the edge for the Willy’s ceiling (not really, but you don’t have much room to reach the needed height after the previous landing), then a bit of a breather on the journey to one of the farthest spots in the north east (but I could NOT exclude this one - really nice!), then a few more close to each other towards the end.

Some are short, some are in or on tricky terrain, some are more easy - but the challenge will be to approach (hopefully all from the same direction) and see who can stop safely in the shortest distance.

So when you stop, please put your chocks on and wait for everyone to land, so we can see who “wins” each leg!

Advise to watch your mixture - if you don’t burn full fuel for the whole event there will be enough fuel with 100% tanks, but if you go full rich and revs for the whole thing, you might come up a bit short for the last couple of stops. A lot of the trip is at around 6k ft altitude so you need to reduce mix a bit anyway.

Really looking forward to this one - I know you will all enjoy it immensely and it should be a good laugh!

Join the Discord to find out more and get involved.

3 Likes

It appears that I’m in the process of test-flying a “study-level” STOL rally course! Practice is advised, there is some serious strategy required to get between these points. This is the view from LEG2 (4,740 feet in elevation since that’s good to know). @Baracus250 loving this course, and the STOL rally concept!

1 Like

Yeah it’s an epic ride isn’t it! Natural stomping ground for Wilma :slight_smile:

Endless fun. This flight path is good for reaching all the spots but you can find some real interesting A to B’s by randomly starting at any of those and going to any other one. Check out that creators other Spain mod if you want more of the same :wink:

So, I expect you to be doing well by next weekend with all the practice :wink:

1 Like

Great idea on the random A-B! Approach planning is critical on these, I often found myself coming in way too high and having to circle to lose altitude, or dropping too far while circling. With a little practice (and some notes) it should be smoother on future go arounds! This is some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the entire game, indeed a perfect match for Wilma!

1 Like

Sorry folks but I had to swap the days for the Wilga Racing events.

These races will now be held on every other Saturday.

So this next meet-up (Spain, STOL Challenge) is going to be on Saturday 6th May (same time, 4:00pm (16:00) UTC.

Sorry to be a pain and I hope this still works for most people…

1 Like

Hi Baracus250, I’m flying on a Xbox, so I can’t download the addon with extras. What can I do?
Greetz
Stanislawl

I think you should still be able to follow us OK and see where we land, then follow us down :slight_smile:

To be honest I am not sure if the mod terraforms any of the areas so it may not work 100% but should be mainly fine. Worth a try :slight_smile:

Also someone else that plays on Xbox is joining and they had the good idea to load LittleNavMap (free) on a laptop and load my flight plan into it - so at least you can see the route on a 2nd screen while you fly. Can you do that?

Thanks for the info, and yes, LNM is a standardtool which I use for flight planing :grin:

1 Like

Good fun today, here are some shots:

And the RESULTS:

Leg 1 - Shortest stop: Baracus

Leg 2 - Shortest stop: Baracus

Leg 3 - Shortest stop: @joeaudacious (all really close on this one!)

Leg 4 - Shortest stop: @OneMoreBulleit

Leg 5 - Shortest stop: Baracus

Leg 6 - Shortest stop: Joeaudacious (but from the wrong side, so) Baracus :slight_smile:

Leg 7 - Shortest stop: OneMoreBulleit (Baracus nosed over)

Leg 8 - Shortest stop: OneMoreBulleit (Baracus nosed over again)

Leg 9 - Shortest stop: Baracus (very close!)

Maybe we will do the second half at another event? :slight_smile:

5 Likes