Will I cope with an ultra wide monitor?

I’m contemplating buying an ultra wide monitor and was wondering what kind of a hit to expect on the overall performance of my system. It currently runs really smoothly, locked at 60 fps. My CPU is an I7 10700 and GPU is Geoforce RTX 2070 Super (8GB)

Anyone running with similar specs with an ultra wide monitor?

Hi @OnCourse2013 i run a AMD 3750X and a 2070 Super with an Asus Ultrawide as well as two other 16:9 screens. Runs fine at 1440p, but don’t expect to hit 60FPS locked.

Personally, I lock it to 30FPS, and it’s really smooth and a great experience. unlocked I get around 50FPS but this fluctuates down as low as 25fps in built-up areas.

I guess what it comes down to is 60FPS a deal breaker for you?

Sounds good. I don’t usually bother much with FPS provided the SIM is smooth. I lock it at 60 to reduce GPU usage to 50%. Unlocked I get 100 plus and my GPU is maxed out.

Thanks for the reply

Purchased a 49in curved last year best purchase made works a treat go for it!

You should be fine with a decent 3440x1440p curved monitor

Just don’t expect to hold that 60fps anymore. … more like 30 to 45. The mega ultrawides i would not recommend.

Save your money. Very high res and affordable VR is coming soon.

Curved is really geat for MSFS. Once you use it you would never go back to standard. Started with a 29 inch then liked the experience I upgraded to a 34 inch. 34 inch would be as big as I would go since I sit at the usual distance arms’s length from the monitor. Was initally running with a RTX2060 so had to scale things back from high to medium when I made the transition, which maintained FPS but resulted in a small but noticable graphics downgrade. Then with the performance improvements from SU5 and a new RTX3060ti, I now run most things at Ultra. Only had to scale clouds back to High as they have a realy big hit. Usually see 45fps, which is fine for MSFS.

1 Like

Both of my Ultra wide curved monitors have been Kogan branded. The 29": was 2560x1080 and the 34" 3440x1440. Was a bit tenative about ordering this brand, but there was a decent saving to be had. Did some research and both were picked because they had Samsung screens (many of this brand do not). Must say I was surprised with the quality of both. The 29" was so good I didn’t hesitate to upgrade to the 34". Haven’t regretted either purchase.

1 Like

That’s what I was planning on getting. What hardware (CPU/GOU) do you have?

Not for me… I can’t use VR due to a medical condition

Thanks for the reply

You’ll absolutely cope with it - there’s an adaptation sometimes (for example, I wear progressive lenses, and my near zone isn’t edge-to-edge, so I do have to move my head to focus some content), but it’s well worth it. Certainly more so than putting two monitors next to one another, IMO. and if you really don’t like playing your sim fullscreen that way, for whatever reason, you have the option to run it windowed (at which point you can pop out views into their own windows).

I’m sorry to hear that. In terms of monitor definitely go wide screen.