Will Microsoft Flight Simulator add more photogrammetry cities

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator add more photogrammetry cities?

Yep. They sure will. This is a decade-long project. 9 years of development to go.

I was disappointed with the lack of any with the last update, Norway especially. Gorgeous place to take advantage of it, hopefully they’ll rectify that in future.

They’ve announced today that they’ll be adding more with the next update for Germany, Switzerland & Austria. It’s more then 1 city but could also be less then 3. The more the merrier as long as they’re done well.

Hopefully when they get back to the UK they can take a look at London again. It’s quality is fairly poor, it’s only 1/12th size of the City & the seams are very ugly/noticeable.

1 Like

Definitely. Not only have they said they are hoping to cover as much as possible but they will also be updating locations once new data is available! As post above says, flight simulators have a decade long shelf life at the minimum and we are only a year in and I struggle to see a value in a totally new platform for Microsoft or Asobo in the future when they have got the earth already available so we are only at the tip of the what’s to come iceberg :grin:

1 Like

What i will say to this is that Jorg gave an interview recently where he stated they were committed to World Updates & adding photogrammetry for the next 2yrs. That doesn’t mean they won’t go beyond that, if enough people still use/buy the sim & spend money in the marketplace i’d imagine they’ll continue with world updates beyond that.

It also comes down to what data is available. Bing is a long way behind Google in data mapping. Bing or the 3rd party photogrammetry company Asobo are using need to continue to collect data first & foremost.

3 Likes

I think it depends on Bing maps… I would love my hometown Helsinki to have photogram, but alas, Bing is what it is, not google…

Yep! They confirmed today that World Update 6 will bring new photogrammetry cities, for example.

“We are very excited about this update as it features many enhancements to the region, including new aerials and elevation maps, new photogrammetry cities, 4 hand-crafted airports , nearly 100 POIs and new discovery flights, landing challenges, and bush trips.”

I would like to see more cities in photogrammmetry, but first, i’d prefer to have some of the color aberations, or missing color, enhanced. It is getting better, but still the algorithm needs some work. The worst part of the day is between 10:00-14:00 when the sun light is directly above. As such the buildings disappear into darkness because there is no lighting reflecting on the sides of the buildings, like in real life. Alternatively flying in early mornings facing west, and late afternoons facing east appear much brighter and as one would exoect.
Would a change in lighting settings correct this, or is that a result of how the graphics are processed from the server?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.