Will MSFS run smoothly with around 30fps on my system?

Hi, I have been flying on MSFS with smooth fps around 30, for around 10-15 days now, I didnt notice no lags or CTDs, tho some stutters which I was completely okay with, but today when I spawned in a fenix a320 at WMKK, after around a min or so, my sim suddenly start lagging very badly, and I saw my Process Lasso graph showing CPU consumption rate at 100%, after a some time I got a graphic card overload and overheat error message and the sim crashed, this happened suddenly today, I even restarted the pc, but now Its happening everytime, after a min or so once I spawn
There are no updates pending, here are my system specs:
(I run MSFS with all Medium Settings, with just the Volumetric Clouds set to Ultra & I get a smooth performance)
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with RadeonTM Graphics
NVIDIA RTX 3050 4GB LAPTOP GPU
16GB RAM
1TB HDD+ 512GB SSD

If your system manages around a max of 30 fps and overheats the GPU, try to limit fps with Nvidia control panel to 30 fps and check if the temperature is lowering. Then limit to 20 fps and read the temperature.
My system runs around 45 fps @ 75ºC, but limited to 30 fps the temp is 51ºC
FPS is an indication but not the key.
Maybe your 4 Gb GPU memory is near to the limit.

Definitely turn down volumetric clouds to high as maximum. That is a performance killer even on the best systems, never mind a laptop.

The 4gb vram is very tight and especially with the Fenix that is heavy on the system I feel you just need to turn stuff down a bit. What resolution are you running?

@Baracus250 @SlippedSheep437 , Thanks for the reply guys, till yesterday as a matter of fact I was running fenix smoothly at around 25 fps and GPU temps were around 85 degrees, any specific reason why this problem suddenly occured today if everything was fine until yesterday?
Im running on 1080p resolution btw

I am perhaps more disappointed knowing the fact that I bought this laptop very recently and it indeed was
giving a smooth performance on MSFS especially

And what temps are you getting when the frame rate drops?

CPU some where around 80 and GPU 95

That’s too hot. It’s throttling down to protect itself. Can you get better cooling? Maybe one of those cooling pads with active fans that sit under the laptop would help.

I do have a 6 fan cooling pad

Oh. Well, is it working? :smiley:
Pretty sure that is way too hot.

Try the same scenario with Low graphics preset just to test if it does the same?

If it’s better then slowly turn things up to medium until it can cope. That’s what I would try anyway.

Reduce settings but I insist in locking framerate, 24 fps should be ok.

Will try that.

I have it capped at 30.

1 Like