Will the trees ever get smaller?

Fun to type, but not really true.

Most of these tree mods are just editing or more to the point circumventing the default Asobo files to make the vegetation smaller… They don’t cause one single extra line of code to be executed at all. They have absolutely no performance overhead.

3 Likes

MSFS trees are not only too big, but also looking ugly. They are too rounded, like mushrooms, especiall looking from the sky. Bijan’s trees and REX trees look much less rounded.

3 Likes

The Aotearoa tree mod for NZ makes a massive difference but has a substantial performance hit. Especially when first loading.

Looks like normal trees:

Here is the mod for smaller trees. These look like way too small:

1 Like

The game uses larger trees but less of them to represent forests and hence they look normal from a distance.

It is the California Redwood on approach to random grass strips and the shrubs in the local park towering above everything that are the issue not the forests.

4 Likes

Yeah, my issue with the trees is that many times I like to visit remote airstrips, which turn out to be surrounded by very tall trees that can mess up my landing.

1 Like

Every year that passes the trees get taller.
Well, that is what happens. Trees GROW they do not shrink with age.

Those trees are just barely taller than your 737! What is that? like 20 feet maybe?

Your average tree over the eastern half of the US is about 40 feet tall and in many places like where I live in the southeast they are as tall as 100 feet. Memphis TN is filled with 40 foot tall trees. My aunt lived on the fourth floor of her apartment building and her balcony was right near(just below) the tops of the trees.

One thing I imagine could be fixed relatively easily is trees very close to the coast because most of the time it’s seaweed or lichen that is being picked up by AI. It would be better to have the odd missing tree than what we have now.

It really does depend on the airport. In this example it actually looks like there is less dense tree coverage than real life.

But in other cases, giant trees right near the threshold are definitely a thing.

Other aspects of realism are also an issue. :wink:

Is that the same airport as in the video I found? It looks like the road and tree layout (embedded imagery) are the same or at least very similar. Good find.
I personally like it when trees make a landing more challenging. It definitely happens in real life quite a bit.

1 Like

You can see from the ground imagery that a lot of the trees to the left didn’t get picked up by Blackshark AI for some reason, leaving the place looking a little barren.

1 Like

Use rex accuseason and pick shorter trees :+1: works great no noticeable hit to performance lovely brown colours over UK now.

rexaccuseason is the way to go, smaller trees and i get with TLOD 400 ,28-45 fps on my potato 5600g, 1080ti, 32 GB 3600 mhz

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.