Will There Be A Career Mode?

As stated above, will there be a career mode?

Im not sold. I would sooner use Neo Fly Or even reinstall Sim Copter for some real career mode Action.

1 Like

Good question. Missions != career mode necessarily. I’m interested to hear more about if it’ll have actual career progression or just be a series of missions you can pick up. Also, Sim Copter definitely came to mind for me watching the announcement. Man, I loved that game (though talk about buggy!)

Based on the trailer, it looks like one-off handmade activities to my eye, but, I’m hopeful that it at least means updates to the SDK that will make it possible to generate more, perhaps systemically and in the context of a career mod (like Neofly).

I hope they do some kind of career mode; I think it’s desperately needed to hook new players, even if it’s on the simple side. Some people just aren’t wired to make their own fun in a true sandbox without a little direction, and not everyone is going to know about or want to mess with mods (or be able to if they’re on consoles).

Meh. I, for one, don’t want/need an MMORPG-ification to get me to run routes and such. Now, if I can say drop in on a SAR mission or Medivac here and there, yeah I’d be down for that. I don’t need to be able to say I have 400 hours in the virtual H135 to measure my [redacted] when talking to other simmers though. I don’t really measure myself against others, I’m just looking to fly better patterns and not waddle in helicopters.

For me, it’s just nice to have a game give me a little prod with some potential stuff to do. Putting it in a career or economic sim context helps a lot.

Like, if you look at Euro/American Truck Simulator, it’s not super deep, and it’s still mostly about skillfully driving the truck, but having a job board and some goods that need to be moved around means I don’t have to just come up with a task from thin air.

Not everyone needs that, but a lot of people get hooked in by that kind of gameplay, and for new simmers, it could be the thing that gets them into it, which could lead to them getting deeper into the more nuts and bolts aspects.

It’s not necessarily competitive, but it gives direction. It’s like the equivalent of having a writing prompt for inspiration instead of staring at a blank page.

3 Likes

I just equated it to WoW’s LFG system. Yeah, I’d like to drop into the sim and say ‘yeah, let’s run a MediVac in SoCal’ or ‘Yeah, I have time for a hurricane hunter mission’ and it drops me cold/dark in Miami.

As it is, my sims days generally start with ‘what route to I want to fly today?’ I pick my start and end and jump in.

They did mention “live your dream career in aviation” or something to that effect, right? Would be pretty lame if it then ends up being a series of one-off missions.

3 Likes

It did say this in the trailer (screenshot’d)

which is different from ‘Pursue Your Dream Of A Set of Single Missions’? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you think that these career mode/flying experiences warrant some sort of multiplayer shared cockpit or vehicle feature? I really hope they include it out of the box, as I’d love to share a plane with a friend doing some of these missions and managing the aircraft.

1 Like

I do hope their is a career mode and not just things to do with rescue but things like transporting people on long haul flights. but I hope they will keep free flight like they do now.

2 Likes

I hope they also implement an airline focused career mode, with things like route assignment, realistic loadsheets by season, airline slots reservation.

1 Like

There’s no way they’d get rid of the free flight stuff. It’s still Flight Simulator.

1 Like