Will there be a Scenery/Airport Gateway project like Xplane?

This is one of the many great ideas implemented in XP11 and which works quite well. The developer offers a specific tool(s) to build airports with a library of objects, and the content is curated. After some years, you have the most commonly used airports in the world represented in the game, with quality being just one notch below the normal payware ones.

+1

The world is big, Asobo won’t be able to make every landmarks. This is why we need the community.
But unlike X-Plane gateway, custom 3D objects / Texture should be allowed.

1 Like

Prior to implementing this, MSFS must have all important airports, for instance in Spain there are major airports missing…

1 Like

If this was implemented it would have those airports as people would add them.

The problem (and my claim) is that there is NOTHING in the place of those MAJOR airports when in FS2004 (my first sim) there is an airport similar to real one.

This is LEZG, very big airport (was Europe’s emergency airport for Space Shuttle), second cargo airport in Spain an Transport and Fighter Airbase.

And in MSFS

REPORTED TO ZENDESK AND MARKED AS “SOLVED” ???

Yep, I agree - a couple key airports needed for going round the world in smaller aircraft, one that is well known and used for ferry flights is Narsaruaq, Greenland, BGBW. A few airstrips in the Seychelles, French Polynesia that will permit you to hop around the Indian and Pacific oceans, respectively. I am sure this will get added so will just wait for updates to roll out in the months to come.

1 Like

Hmm…you sound familiar. I’m sure I’ve seen you elsewhere. Welcome to a new era :laughing: :hugs:

1 Like

:wink:
Yeah I stumble around a bit

Absolutely support that idea, and it does need to happen to allow us to fix/update as many airports as possible as a community. It would be a much, much lower workload for Asobo than having to fix all of the airports that didn’t quite come out right.

As mentioned above in the thread, the scenery gateway was one of the major reasons for my switch to X-Plane 11.

2 Likes

In my search for islands that help connect to the mainland another one missing that helps connect between Iceland and Norway and Scotland are the Faroe Islands - no Vagar airport. This would be a good one to have if you are making your way across the North Atlantic in a smaller aircraft/doing a ferry flight to or from Europe.

2 Likes

Great find. Looks like a Xplane style ‘Gateway’ community-based method is the only solution to this. If XP ever did anything great it’s the Gateway. Making so many scenery additions or enhancements is a mammoth task for any studio. And if we have to rely on third party payware the sim will end up costing a lot of money. MS/Asobo really needs to take this suggestion onboard

1 Like

Hi, I think the “missing airport” could be due to the area being pixelated in Bing maps aerial view:

Yes, the pixelated area is because is a military Airbase (I posted an uncensored picture), this airport was an American-Spanish airbase during cold war, but today is a civil (passengers and cargo) and militay airbase. The big buildings not pixelated at right are a Logistic platform, that´s one of the reasons for being the second cargo airport in Spain. Traffic control is provided by Airforce.

This is really a good idea, so many basic airport could be improve with this.

Same along with a good simulation after trying aircrafts I fly, they really need to fix their stuff on 2020 as it is rubbish. Back in topic without a gateway like this simulator is pointless, you end up like P3D having to buy everything and bore yourself to death… if you fly GA too.

1 Like

Threads like this further highlights the importance of a Gateway scener development system. Blender is a fairly easy tool to learn and nearly anyone can learn to make 3D models. They can add handmade models for important landmarks in their cities, airports etc and then add it to a central repository. That way anyone and everyone can benefit from high quality scenery through the spirit of the community.

The days of pulling out our wallets for snippets of the earth being modeled in a realistic way should not be the future of flight simming.

Please Microsoft and Asobo, allow the community to improve the base scenery through a gateway system. It’s a much more faster and efficient way of developing the scenery rather than wait for Bing for years to have any form of World 2.0 update for the sim.

6 Likes

The idea of having community made landmarks is interesting, though I think the airports should be the main focus, as they cannot be improved just with a Bing world update and have to be modeled separately anyways.

This feature would add so much value to the sim. It builds up reputation for the sim and saves the devs work. If MS / ASOBO do listen to the community, this should seriously be considered in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Although that gateway looks great on the paper, i do not want anything like that. I remember the day that i created an airport. I spend a month, even draw gate numbers on the ground, decorate it etc. Then it replaced by an airport someone submitted and not even looks as good and detailed as mine. That moment i stopped developing any kind of anything for Xplane. Why the heck i waste my time?

Also most of the airports in MSFS are miles ahead of XP default airports if we compare them quality wise. Even FSX default airports were way better than XP ones. (Talking about non famous auto generated ones)

When you talk about a default airport in X-plane it means you will have runway and if you are lucky some default ugly buildings with few taxiways. So XP definitely needed something like that. MSFS on the other hand is a different story and i do not believe they need something like that. But they can implement a bing view style portal so if someone created an airport can share it with people. As a result i can choose to see that airport or not unlike it is being mandatory as default.

Used generated landmarks sounds good tho :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a recent interview with Jörg Neumann on a german gaming news site, in which he was asked if everyone is able to use the sceneries that you create. He answers that they are working on something big and he can maybe tell more in a month or so. :slight_smile: