Win 11 Update causing stutters?

I updated to 22H2 for the third time after rolling back two previous times. With the latest nVidia drivers I at last am having smooth flights (kinda) once again. I get 10-12 frames on the runway, but a few minutes after takeoff and departing the airport it climbs up to my normal 31-33 frames. Then I noticed if I went to external view, my frames immediately dropped to 15-19 frames. I then lowered my “Trees” setting from High to Medium and that solved that problem. I have now noticed that once in a while my frames counter says “CPU Bound”. I am using an i9-9900K (stock) with an RTX 2080 Super (8 GB) and 32 GB RAM. Have an HP G2. I also noticed that if I am flying from a rural airport such as KALW, I do not have the same problem. But flew into KRNT recently and frames dropped to 2-3 and I couldn’t control the aircraft. Most of my settings are High/Medium, running DX11 DLSS Performance. I have been saving up to upgrade my video card to a 3080 ti or 3090 ti. Is it worth it? I’m 83 years old and probably shouldn’t spend that much, but MSFS is about all I have left in life. Wife passed 25 years ago, and it’s just me. Kids/grandkids are 2,500 miles away (I live on Maui) so it gets pretty lonely. Sorry this post is so long, looking for some good advice!!

4 Likes

Man, I really do hope that being at your age I will have the same worries!:smiley:
As a hardcore rationalist, I often wonder whether it is better to follow my heart and just feel happier or keep looking at those ■■■■ numbers:)
I would rather wait until the 4xxx series is out and then decide or simply jump straight into 4090 if you’re lucky enough to grab one at the release day LOL!

Hm, I think that just because you are 83 (congrats!) it is worth spending money for everything you enjoy! Personally I would not buy a 3090 but would got for a 5800X3D and maybe an AMD card with high RAM. They are comparably “cheap” right now. I have a 3080TI with 12 GB VRAM. With those last changes and VRAM problems I maybe would go for an AMD card (6800XT with 16 GB or something like that), because they are not so miserly at VRAM amount.
Or you wait a little bit more til the DX12 implementation settles. It should get better and SU11 will be out in November. Thinking about it, waiting is the best solution. Why throw money at something that is just not good enough for todays hardware?

I’ve got the exact same issue with my i9-12900 and 3080. So I’d say, save your money, perhaps wait till the 4xxx come out.
This horrific issue with 22H2 and G2 users is a game-breaker. I’ve tried everything for a full day, and tonight I turned off my rig in complete frustration. I was so excited in anticipation of SU10, Nvidia driver update, Canada update and Windows 22H2. All seem to have let us down here. I just don’t know anymore :frowning:

I’d say those are fair comments. I have hesitated to say, trying to remain optimistic, but this has been an unfair beta test for two years. Basic functions continue to be a problem and yet there is an attempt to add new features all the time. I’ve been with Flight Simulator since Bruce Arwick and these two years have been the most disappointing developments - with so much promise. At some point Asobo needs to focus on what makes a stable and useable flight simulator to regain user confidence.

2 Likes

Have you performed this workaround for the Windows 11 22H2 performance issue. Uplifting to the latest Nvidia drivers and even beta geforce experience didn’t fix it for me.

Performing this workaround after each reboot however brought my performance back. Hope it helps. I have logged an Nvidia driver feedback form to see if they can clarify if a fix is coming from Nvidia side. I believe someone else has done the same on the Microsoft front.

Here’s the workaround steps.

Hello to all

As all of you, I experienced real issues on any game aspects : stuttering, low FPS, crashes after this SU10 coupled to Windows 11 2022 H2.

So I subscrived my computer to the Windows insider program, installed Build 22623.730 and recently updated NVidia drivers to version 517.48

With all settings set to 100 and no custom settings in OpenXR Runtime Tool, graphics are back to 44FPS when flying over Chicago buildings with HP Reverb G2 coupled to a standard RTX3070, with DLSS activated.

Real visual improvements ! I suspect the latest WU11 to have an impact on it, which at least means that our problem are really taken into account.

Hope it will help some of you to solve their performance issues.
BigPapaOurs

1 Like

I can’t for the life of me find this file path/ setting on Win 11, computer management search doesn’t bring up anything, can some Elaborate please

here is or find the famous file, sorry it is in French, it will appear on the right there is no on this computer because it is a desktop PC.

3 Likes

HolographicShell and the problem it create only appear for user with WRM headset (like G2, Odyssey, etc.). Valve and Oculus users don’t have it.

2 Likes

Yes my fps was cut in half, was 30 fps before and now I won’t even fly as I can’t because the stutters are so bad.

Hi guys,
sharing some info, after upgrading Windows 11 to 2022H2 I got massive stuttering, specically when changing views. All I did:

All smooth and good again!

Desktop with i9-11900KF and RTX 3080ti.

Enjoy!

Just found this fault Holgraphic shell seems to affect DX11 the most and putting to DX12 smooth . Stopping holgraphic shell I can see no negative effect.Windows fault hopefully cured soon .

1 Like

So many dependencies. I was on SU10 (beta) and Win11 on an i9/12900K system where I would experience CTDs a number of times until it eventually becomes stable after a bunch of cycles of start MSFS, crash, restart. I was on the stable Win11 build, and just yesterday, got the “invite” to update to 22H2, which I did. Miracle of miracles… it’s 100% stable with no crashes now. DX12, HP G2 w/ OpenXR Toolkit 1.2. Nearest I can tell, the crashes I had were related to Microsoft Edge Webview, or at least it seemed that way to me. Anyhow, for now, I’m in a happy state. Performance is great, even in a large, busy airport (KBOS) with custom mods (FlyTampa) in the FBW A320 with the FSLTL Injector.

Just read somewhere else that out of date Intel Management Engine driver is causing issues.
I have just updated my IME driver to 2216.16.0.2805 and problem is solved!
Actually, my sim is now running smoother than before the 22H2 update.

Not for me (after latest - the frametimes are still quite scattered. I can see the stutters even in other flight sims that are much faster than MSFS.

Win 11 22H2 is running smoothly on my system, well after doing the kill HolographicShell log process mentioned in the 22H2 thread here. Also, I switch to VR at the initial menu and stay in VR. I’ve had stutters in the past if I wait until my flight is loaded in.

1 Like

Yep…this fixed it for me!

Hey guys, I’m a sim racer , but VR issues led me here, same issues , overnight massive stutters making Asseto Corsa Competizione unplayable. Went from 90fps down to stuttering 50. This fix saved me. I eventually went back to previous build, but will have to create a .bat file to run on windows startup (or something like that) to do the disable when I am eventually forced to go to 22h2. Thanks!

1 Like

One way to bring more users to the sim :wink: sneaky Microsoft :laughing:
Welcome to the Flight Sim world. You can now fly yourself to the race events!