Wind gust challenge

If you want a see some great wind gusts, I suggest flying into KSFO southbound runways right now. I was getting severe wind gusts down to about 3000f ft over the bay where it smoothed out just a bit. Tower controller said 39kt but when I actually landed in was about 17. I had a smooth landing luckily. Good luck and God be with you.
BTW why am I being directed by ground through the jetways? This has happened a lot lately. I’m wondering if the arrows don’t line up correctly and just point to the end point from all directions. I couldn’t really see the yellow lines. Start a flight at KSFB and you have gates that lead to nothing cuz there is no building there.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out. I did KSNQ-KOAK in C172 at 050 alt. You’re right. This was a lot of fun.

Sad that it smoothed out just a little below 3000 ft.

Yeah most of it was east of Oakland as I was making a uturn to land at KSFO. I was getting 30kt deviations. Maybe it’s calmed down a bit.

It’s very unrealistic if it gets calm on the ground where it should be the most gusts.

1. A gust and wind both refer to the movement of different gases in the earth’s atmosphere around the earth.

2. Wind is created by the difference in atmospheric pressure caused by lighter hot air and denser cold air. On the other hand, gusts are brief increases in the wind’s speed, mainly caused by the wind passing through the terrain.

3. Wind blows in varying speeds throughout the entire day. Gusts only occur for extremely short periods of time, usually lasting no more than just 20 seconds, occurring at 2-minute intervals.

Read more: Difference Between Gust and Wind | Difference Between Difference Between Gust and Wind | Difference Between

When we fly in gusts they should uccure much more often because we fly into them. Like when we drive a car we feel them more often when we drive into them.

Here is a test i did today with gusts injected with live-weather and then switched to unreal weather that injects METARS in the custom weather. Thats how i want the gusts to be injected in live-weather.

At some point in the past… SU3 maybe? Winds were calmed down below the earths boundary layer. Then gusts seem to have gone completely missing after that.

Now gusts are back, but it seems that they underperform METAR, most likely due to the low level moderation that was added in the past.

A solution to that still needs to be fixed.

1 Like

They mentioned it could be fixed in the next update SU7. They never mentioned live-weather was fixed in this SU6 update i still think they can manage to fix it properly :slight_smile: They have made some progress but they are not finished with it thats for sure.

I’m real thankful they fixed it in custom weather as it was at release with some improvements in my opinion. Easy to understand if we know how winds work. The thing that is bugged is that the wind is set at 50% at ground. That is unrealistic that the wind suddenly decreases to 50% at groundlevel. Maybe they have same issue in live-weather thats why it’s so calm there like you said. For me the gusts/fluctuation of windspeed feels to less everywhere i fly in live-weather.

Gusts make the flying more dynamic even if the winds are calm beacuse the windspeed changes even if it’s calm especially on ground.

Thats why you all felt it was good as soon as you felt it back even if it was small variations i think. Gusts makes such a big difference but we should have it as it is in the real life, much higher where those occuring right now.

Continuing the discussion from [RELEASE] Release Notes (1.20.6.0) Sim Update 6:

Can’t remember when but i remember there was a hotfix a while ago where they brought gusts back. Then people tried to set gusts, but then complained that it wasn’t working. It was in live weather, but they hadn’t added the ability to control the gusts. That came in the most recent update.

I see that you’ve been in several of those other threads out there, so you’re aware of the long wind gusts saga.

If they can do something about the low altitude wind scaling, I think that would be the next improvement.

Yes i have seen that what you describing. It said it was reactivated but it wasn’t in the hotfix-notes that i am aware of. They told us at that point in the bug thread that it was just logged and the devs was aware of the problem. It has never fluctuated on runway in live-weather since su4 for me and i think that will not change when they increase the winds at groundlevel in live-weather because the wind should have fluctuated anyway just that the wind should not rech that high. If i set gusts with low wind speed at ground level in custom weather i can see fluctuation in winds there even if i set the winds low with gusts.

The thing with low windspeeds in live-weather on ground i think has to do with the integration with MEATAR injection of winds at airports and that is set at a static value. I think and hope they should improve the blending with meteoblue in the next update and thats why i still hope it will help the gusts be better overall in live-weather :slight_smile: They even told us it may help the gusts in a Q&A at 29th september.

Here you can see that the wind fluctuate in custom weather even if the winds are low on ground. In live weather wind is almost constant all the time. It must be something different that makes the gusts not being injected properly in live-weather.

Yesterday flying around the northern california area and heading to San Fran, my plane registered a couple of wind gusts 80-90 knots for a short burst or 2 up at about 16,000 feet. That was exciting and scary all at the same time. Winds were consistently strong the whole flight. Brought her down for a safe landing in San Francisco, couldn’t see much on approach or even on the runway. Crazy!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.