Wind Layer - Math does not check out

Steam
No Development Mode

Brief description of the issue:

The math in the wind layer settings windows does not check out… description is km/h, but in the sim (indicated wind on instruments) is in knots and higher → wrong conversion.

Example: Set 19 km/h in the menu… get 36knots in game

possible explanation: Menu value 19 is recognized as knots, converted into 36 km/h, but then injected into the sim as 36 knots again.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Set any wind value in the menu (hybrid units), set wind direction pointing on the aircraft nose and check on instruments.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: SU8, but seems to be there much longer

It may be beneficial to hire at least one person at Asobo, who has aviation knowledge…

I noticed similar. I set fairly low wind and gusts in km but then ended up with 50kt gusts, at the time there seemed to be no sensible conversion between these.

Heh, I’m guessing at the cause here, but this kind of issue is so common in most places I worked in. So many coders will give variable names like “Speed”, “WindDirection”, etc, instead of “SpeedKmh”, “WindDirectionTo”… It drives me nuts.

Bad naming helps make hard to spot bugs really easy.

I just posted this over in the Weather “help” category before I saw this thread:

Its feet per second - almost but not quite 2xknots

Its a bug

Wind is being reported INCORRECTLY in ft/sec instead of Knots.

Been like this since MSFS was released, 1.5 years ago

I won’t even mention a DP of 10 when the temperature is 2 !!
(well, I guess I just did !! )

2 Likes

And the cloud layer too! What a total mess.

There are ways to write code to prevent this kind of mayhem and ways to write it which are likely to result in a mess like this. I’m definitely learning about their approach to code and code quality.