Windfarms overpopulated

Sorry, but to suggest that one of those images resembles the other is just ludicrous.

Good day.

I mean, yeah, because the windmills are too big. The roads, the highway, the ridges, the gullies are faithfully there, along with the mill foundations.

One more try, if you’d still bear with me :). Below, I replaced a bunch of real windmills from the above picture with some 5-10 times bigger ones, which is fair adjustment based on the Kenetech specs above vs. modern big ones. Would you say this is is closer to the MSFS problem?
tehachapiwithbigs

1 Like

I worked in Mojave looking out my office window at those wind farms every day for 3 years.

Those turbines are in the right place, they are just too big. That one ridge has a bunch of ancient 70s or 80s turbines that are tiny in comparison to the new ones. The sim only has giant turbines.

2 Likes

They got these right. (Vestas & EDF)

Near Rio Vista.

1 Like

The positions and number of wind turbines in MSFS are correct. But they’re placing full size wind turbines in locations that should have very small turbines. It’s the sizing that’s off, not numbers / spacing.

2 Likes

I get a major fps drop because of Coherent GT draw issues when spending time near places with many windmills. It brings the sim down to a slideshow. when i teleport out of the area, the fps drop is gone.

Just gonna leave this here… :rofl: Microsoft Flight Simulator - Too Many Windmills Stacked - YouTube

1 Like

Even if the amount of turbines may be realistic to some extend that insane amount of objects is a clear problem for MSFS, as they need to be handled as animated objects not as static ones. The performance impact of Sentinel (Palm Springs) and Alta (Mojave) wind farms is notorious, even while still being far from those areas. In my opinion that should be fixed as flying VFR near those areas is impossible with so many animated objects (there are around 2500 turbines in place at Palm Springs case for instance).

The spikes in the performance graph shows periodic drops from 45fps to 25fps, with mainthread having latencies above 40ms, which result in a stuttering nightmare.

Cheers