Windows 11 22H2 Update available to address performance issue (HolographicShell Event Tracing)

THIS POST IS APPLICABLE TO WMR USERS ONLY: eg HP Reverb, Samsung Odyssey, etc… It is not applicable to other devices (Oculus, Varjo…)

Dear WMR enthusiasts,

Today, Microsoft released a Windows Update for Windows 11 22H2, KB5020044 (OS Build 22621.900), that addresses the performance issue that many of you experienced due to the HolographicShell Event Tracing.

While this update will be automatically installed starting mid-December on all Windows 11 22H2 machines with Windows Update currently enabled, today the update needs to be initiated manually if you do not wish to wait for the automatic update.

The steps required are very simple:

1. From the Start menu, type “Check for updates” to open the Windows Update application.

1. On the Windows Update welcome screen, press the “Check for updates” button. After a short time, the available updates will be presented to you.

2. Find the update titled “2022-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5020044)”, then press “Download & install”.

1. If you had previously set up a workaround, such as a startup script, background script, or scheduled command execution in order to disable the HolographicShell Event Tracing, we recommend that you remove that workaround: it is no longer needed.

2. We recommend that you reboot your computer after installation of the update.

Please note that it is normal after the update that the HolographicShell Event Traces will be enabled: they are meant to be, and with the fix those traces will no longer cause performance issues.

We want to thank you all for your patience. Please, continue to report issues with WMR through the Feedback Hub application, in the category “Mixed Reality”, and as much as possible, please include a “Recreate my problem” recording to ensure that we have all information needed when investigating your issues.

21 Likes

Great! Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve noticed I’ve not had to do this “trick” every time I run WMR, it was completely random which was odd.
Still matters not, fixed now.

Thanks for the heads up! Killing that thing every day was a pain.

1 Like

After updating windows, I’m getting the best performance I’ve ever had! Tokyo at dusk with big clouds and lots of traffic and JFK in the rain, traffic everywhere in the spitfire all smooth as silk!

But now that I know it’s a thing… it’s marked. :laughing:

Thanks for the update Matt. You are super helpful and informative as usual!

Thankyou for all the excellent work you and your team are doing.

Thanks, FTR I am just the messenger on this one, it is a completely different team in Windows that worked on this!

I’m getting much better performance in Windows 11 since the update.

I have been only using Windows 10 because Windows 11 WMR was poor.

My FPS sitting at Downtown Manhattan Airport (KJRB) with Guimbal Cabri G2 Helicopter, Noon with clear weather preset. All other settings, such as traffic reset to default.

I restarted MSFS between each test, since I noticed a drop in frames after changing settings, especially when switching to and from VR.

My Computer:

13900k, RTX 4090, 32GB, Nvidia driver 527.37

OpenXR Tools Settings:

Preview Runtime = ON
Render Settings = 100%
All other settings are off

VR Settings:

DX12
Anti-Aliasing = TAA
Render Setting = 100 (3160X3088)
AMD Sharpening = 100
Reprojection = OFF
Nvidia Reflex = OFF

Global Rendering Quality = ULTRA
FPS=48 fps

Global Rendering Quality = HIGH-END
FPS=60 fps

Global Rendering Quality = MEDIUM
FPS=65 fps

Global Rendering Quality = LOW-END
FPS=83 fps

1 Like

I have a 4090 and you can drive a higher resolution and gain performance with better clarity if you crank OXR 200% and switch to DLSS Quality. Everybody that has tried this is amazed by it all around. The high super sampling eliminates DLSS blur. You should try it.

1 Like

Yes I tried that. I’m just amazed that I don’t need to do any of that now! I haven’t even started tuning…just blown away.

Do I still need the following in Windows 10 or is this unnescessary here too?

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic
DWORD 32-Bit → PreallocateVirtualMonitors (0)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.