Windows 11 Question for MSFS 2020 and Performance?

Hi Folks,

I have a 3 year old iBuyPower Gaming PC. Its quite capable of running Windows 11 with no problems. My question is a basic one. Based on your experience, which path provides you with the best possible outcome?

1. Upgrade Current Windows 10 Setup to Windows 11 within Windows 10

2. Clean Install Windows 11 Fresh from USB Drive

I have a feeling I know the answer is probably #2, it just means reinstalling all of my programs, update them, install Steam and all my games and then all of their DLC’s. Thanks in advance for any and all help and replies provided. Cheers!

Roger

I guess the easy option is 1 followed by testing then 2 if its not 100% stable :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I used option # 1 with no problems. It was an easy update with no “gotchas”.
Of course, I did have a full system backup to fall back on in event something went awry.
All is good and I am happy.
Added Comment: Oh, within 4 to 8 weeks you will have so many MS security and system updates it will no longer be a fresh/clean system anyway.

1 Like

I typically recommend a complete wipe of your machine at least twice a year to keep it running good. Obviously back up your important files but if it were me i’d do option two and just do the clean install.

Saves you heartache in case you have to do a clean install anyway. The obvious downside is having to reinstall everything again

2 Likes

I’ve done both. It would always be preferable in the windows world to do “clean” installs but either should work.

2 Likes

Topic moved into Tech Support from General Discussion.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all of these replies. I really appreciate it. I think I’m going to take the Upgrade path first and then as @DaveJK9173 recommended, test for stability. If its unstable or I see a big performance, I’ll go with Option 2 and do a Complete Fresh Install. Of note, I updated my old non-compliant Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14 to Windows 11 using a YouTube video work around, and I love it! It’s made this old laptop quite snappy in performance and I love the new interface.

1 Like

“or a disaster happens” :wink:

Create system image backup before update.
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-back-up-and-restore-an-image-file-of-windows-10

Also make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Q

A

2 Clean Install Windows 11 Fresh from USB Drive

I upgraded to Win11 some days ago, with no issues at all.
I use my PC exclusively for MSFS, which is installed on D:
The sim runs just as smooth as before (VR only)

1 Like

Upgrading can mean existing problems might be inherited but if you have none then you should be fine. I am also of the ilk that periodically likes a clean reinstall but tbh since launch of W10 onwards it’s hardly been a neccessity.

Entirely unnecessary. I’ve had my previous system running on one single install for 9 years, including simply installing Windows 10 over Window 7 with zero issues and great performance. My current system is still running on its first OS install for almost 5 years as well. Again, zero issues with bugs or performance.

This regular reinstall regime is an ancient holdover by pure habit stemming from the way more unstable Windows 95 days. Even back then it was questionable, but today it’s just a myth.

Fact is: unless you install a ton of experimental or virus-infested stuff from dubious sources or the OS is truly shot (aka “not working anymore”), regular reinstalls aren’t necessary at all. Most certainly not in ridiculously short intervals like that. But if one is bored and can think of literally nothing better to do with one’s time … sure, go ahead! :wink:

9 Likes

I find the upgrade path better because there usually isn’t driver problems. I’ve done fresh installs and some drivers don’t get installed correctly or some features such as my B&O app not installing. That being said I feel the sim runs a bit smoother on 10. But I’ve stayed on 11 because I like some of the features.

okay. whatever you say dude. You keep your computer how you want, i’ll keep mine how I want.

But your computer and downloading habits aren’t the same as everyone else. I work in IT dude and everyone i’ve posited this scenario to recommends a clean install.

fact is, what works for you might not work for someone else.

That’s your prerogative. But you are recommending useless practices to others and their computers, which is a different thing.

You working in IT doesn’t mean much. The only time when I had massive problems with my computer (including the cooler spontaneously falling off and killing the whole thing) was, when I let it be built by people “working in IT”. I rather trust my own experience of working with computers for almost 40 years now.

Besides: I already said that it still might me necessary to reinstall regularly when one actively screws up one’s computer on a regular basis (but why would an expert screw up their computer on a regular basis?).

Anyway … I said my piece to offer a different perspective from my personal experience. I leave it to others to decide what’s right for their own system. I just know for a fact that a system can work just fine for many years without reinstalling, while you don’t even allow your system to prove that it’s possible. Which approach yields more usable data to base further action on? Well … I know my answer to that.

Have a good one, “dude”! :wink:

1 Like

Anyone remember Windows ME? On the plus side, it taught me a lot of the things I know about computers.

“Explorer.exe stopped working” :face_vomiting:

Back to topic though, I haven’t reinstalled Windows since 2013, zero issues apart from the usual MSFS quirks. I’d only reinstall if issues started crossing over to other programs, games, apps etc.

2 Likes

just because you think it’s useless doesn’t mean someone shouldn’t do it.

From my personal experience, it’s wise to reimage your own computer every so often.

That doesn’t give you an excuse to attack another person because they think different than you

Have an excellent rest of your weekend “bro”

wdym? i’m running on MSFS on Windows 95 it’s running like a dream?

Seriously?

I want to remind you that current year is

import datetime
today = datetime.date.today()
year = today.year
print(year)

not 2007 codenamed Longhorn if you know what I mean :wink:

Back to topic.

@FriendOfJah
No change in performance noticed but in my opinion Windows10 is more user friendly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.