Windows KB5001391 update

Has anyone noticed a significant improvement in FPS and a much smoother game as a result of installing this update?

1 Like

People that expect miracles from a windows update or driver update, have unrealistic hopes. If the game doesn’t give you solid fps, it simply doesn’t, no matter the the os/driver number. Significant improvements can only come from the game (msfs) itself, if the developer ever manages to optimize it. Anything else is just placebo.

23 Likes

Maybe the update brings some hotfix for lower FPS and bad gaming performance from KB5001330 issue?

5 Likes

Well. I’ve read that that is what the release notes say so personally I’m not surprised a patch to fix performance issue from a previous patch fixed it!

1 Like

Normally yes (although I would point out that occasionally driver updates can actually yield quite significant improvements in a given game, but that’s the exception rather than the rule), but a number of people had gaming performance in general (not just msfs) nuked by KB5001330 and KB5000842… it was seemingly common to see 20-30% lower frame rates, stuttering and BSOD among those affected.

KB5001391 contains numerous fixes, so it’s conceivable that someone who was on one of the prior updates would see a significant improvement… or more accurately a reversal of the impairment.

4 Likes

From which windows version are you guys talking ?
Win 2004 or 1909 ?
Or is this KB5001391 not windows version related.

20H2 and 21H1

Yes i have better performence after the update. Over all Cpu multithreading works and hit not only 1 Thread full over the time.
But my GPU dont work at 100%, Cpu break the power of the RTX 3090 in this game.
I Have a I7 10700k with 32 ram.
Hope for more and bigger improvmends on the CPU Performence.

The shuttering problem is also not fix with this update.

No difference for me. Wasn’t really expecting anything from it.

Definitely this. Asobo are the only ones who can work miracles at this point. I really hope we get a fix for the current stuttering and low FPS issues though before the long awaited optimisations around the Xbox/DX12 release.

2 Likes

Well, I hope this has not messed up my PC… just installed the KB. Now to see what difference it has made – Good / bad / Nothing …

So much for:

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” :stuck_out_tongue: .

Indeed, but fps drop is usually a percentage not necessarily a fixed number of frames per second, so that means if a game barely hits 40fps, by default, the drop was not significant anyway.

That depends really, it can still be significant.

For example If I can maintain a base 30fps in VR then I can keep a smooth experience going, if it drops by 10% and now I can only maintain a base of 27fps then all of a sudden it becomes juddery and quite unpleasant. If I drop down resolution to compensate then it becomes noticeably more blurry, so even a small fps drop there is significant for me.

In flat screen use I can easily hit 60fps in most scenarios I play in MSFS, generally 60-70fps. If I were to get even just a 10% reduction we are now talking 54-63fps which isn’t sufficient for my 60fps vsync (sadly I don’t yet have a VRR display!), so again it would be significant for me. As mentioned some people I saw reporting 20-30% in some games, plus obviously stutters and BSOD are a problem on their own even outside of framerate, so it certainly was significant for those affected imo.

1 Like

:point_down:

The sim will never perform good till they optimize the multi core cpu usage. It’s ridiculous the amount load that goes into a single threat and then it drops to almost nothing when you need it the most. That’s bad coding and unfortunately asobo is in denial, they keep working on memory optimization as if that’s going to magically make the sim utilize more of your PCs resources.

2 Likes

welp, after the sim used up to 60gb of swap on my end today, memory optimizations are necessary as well as i think. i don’t even care if the sim itself, a mod, an airport or whatever is guilty of that but it just should not happen.

i still agree, though - if you own 32 core cpu and see 31 of them almost idling around, it’s still as sad.

Multi core CPU usage is difficult for games, because even if you use multiple cores, there must be a thread that tells the other threads what to do. In computational software there are big batches of data that can be worked through by multiple cores, but a game is a single workload that can’t be divided in pieces endlessly.

And for MSFS it’s very hard because all the variables involved and a lot of tricks other games use (like culling, disabling objects behind other objects) are not possible because you are high in the air and you have to see so far. There are many object like buildings and trees, more than in other games. You can’t cheat clouds too because you have to be able to fly right through them, other games have a simple skybox.

They can and should optimize, but there won’t be a magic moment when we suddenly get 10 fps more when flying above London or Paris.

3 Likes

I understand that aspect, but what I’m stating is, none of the other cores besides the main core get usage… even when they’re needed the most there is no load on them. This was discussed by digital foundry when they were reviewing the sim almost a year ago and nothing has changed. I don’t understand why they keep pushing out content when the sim performance needs to be improved.

what CPU did you get? If you got a 5900X or 5950X, it’s quite logical. Those processors are intended for productivity workloads. Not a single game or sim is (or can be) optimized to utilize all those cores.

If you’re doing rendering, video editing or 3D modeling, they’re great though.

That was what i was saying,. You can only give so much work to other cores. The work they cannot move to other cores will be done by the main thread. This is not video editing or scientific calculations you can simply split between the cores. Games need single threaded performance, that’s why a $500 Ryzen CPU performs better in games than a $3000 Threadripper.

and that’s the reason why it is still be important to look for higher base clocks rather than the amount of cores all alone. my 9900k does 3.6 as a base clock, but it can manage 4.8 without too much of an issue overclocked. a 3990x as an example only does 2.9 as a base clock and 4.3 with quite some issues…