Windscreens in VR too clear?

I’ve not had VR for long, but when I installed the Junkers, the first thing I noticed was how clear the windscreen was in VR - so clear it looked like there was no glass. I’ve since noticed the same thing with the DC-6.

Is it just me, or has it always been like that? The screen looks so clear it’s like there isn’t any screen at all.

I don’t know the answer, but I’d like to know more about your VR setup - what did you get? I’m considering it myself and would like to get some opinions on the best setup.

I got an HP Reverb G2. My son has a Quest 2, which I tried out first - that was helpful, as I’ve never used VR before at all, and as soon as I saw it, I thought I have to try this. However, with the Quest 2, I struggled to get the details on the cockpit really sharp - although, to be fair, he was only here for a weekend with it, so we didn’t have a lot of time to play around with the settings. It also (for some reason) needs you to log in to facebook, which I would prefer not to do.

Anyway, I went with the G2 as it has higher resolution, and I watched a few youtube reviews/comparisons - the thrust of which seemed to be that the G2 was better for MSFS although the Quest 2 was a better bet for all round gaming. Whilst I do play other games, it was MSFS I was looking to use it for the most.

One thing to note - the G2 has a cable, but the Quest 2 can operate without one - essentially streaming from the PC to the headset over wifi or bluetooth (not sure which actually). There was some debate online about the quality of the streaming though for something like MSFS. From my exeperience, given I’m sitting when using the sim anyway, the cable isn’t a material issue for me.

My pc is pretty good I think:

i9 10900K
64Gb RAM
RTX 3080

My experience of the G2 so far has been really good, but it does take a fair bit of fiddling around to get the setting that work best - I assume true of all VR as the same was true of the brief try with the Quest 2 I had. It uses windows mixed reality (WMR) and that comes with something called OpenXR Development Tools (OXR), which you can use to change (as I understand it) effectively the render scaling and other settings (motion reprojection etc). So there’s a lot of playing about with that and the sim settings for VR. I got a lot of help from this thread:

[for some reason, the initial two posts here have now been removed - however, you can check the previous version by looking at the edits for the post, if that makes sense]

The bit I found most tricky is that with my set up, in 2D, I can have everything maxed out on the settings - ultra eveything - so there’s not much to “play with”. But with VR, that’s not possible, so, for me, there was a lot of moving things around to begin with to find what has the most impact on performance and try to balance with quality. It takes a bit of self control to not want to tweak it every time - but I’ve got something that seems to be working pretty well now.

The other thing to be aware of is that I think the quality I can achieve in VR is never going to be as good as I can get in 2D - the headset is shifting way more pixels than my 2560x1440 monitor. But, for me, that’s more than made up for by the experiential gain.

My best advice would be, if at all possible, to borrow a headset to try out first before you commit. That sold it for me 100% - but equally it mght have gone the other way and I might have hated it. A try out would also give you an idea of how the quality might compare to 2D.

Hope all that helps. Happy to share my specific settings for the G2/in sim if that would help too.

Hey @gordongreig, In the past, some aircraft have had quite noticeably ‘tinted’ glass (and some seem very dirty and marked too!) - default CJ4 for one. With the relatively limited brightness range of the headset displays such as the G2 I found this was quite a problem.

Personally, the really clear windows that we have (at least in the DC6 and JU - all that I’ve been flying lately) are the best compromise to give an acceptably bright display of the world outside. Hopefully we will someday get consumer VR headsets with high def OLED displays that give us dark darks, bright brights and vivid colors!

Intrigued to hear what Varjo are announcing later in the week :wink:

Thank you very much for all the details! Really helps.

Thanks for the reply. I think the super clear windscreens are fine, although, to my taste, they look slightly artificial as a result. But I’m being super-picky, and would rather have that than something trying to be realistic, but overdone.

It sounds like, from your post, that this has changed at some point - and maybe that’s what I’m seeing, because I’m sure when I first got VR - maybe 2 months ago - the windscreens weren’t as clear. I’ve been trying to tweak settings to see if it’s something I changed or turned off somehow, but I don’t think so. It looks the same with Windscreen Effects set to ultra.

I think you’re right, although I have changed the planes I mostly fly in the same timeframe, so I can’t pin down exactly what has changed.

In principle, I really like what Asobo have done with the adaptive lighting (contentious, I know), and various other effects … if only the VR headsets had the capability to keep up!

1 Like

I agree, and I don’t mind the adaptive lighting either - I think it is more realistic

1 Like

Hi there,
Since this is a VR topic, I moved this to VR General.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.