Windsocks Dancing in Zero Wind

With zero wind, windsocks hang down as expected but dance around changing direction as if there’s a great deal of wind.

To reproduce just set weather to zero wind and look at a windsock.

I could be wrong, but I think MSFS always has a small breeze blowing.

Let’s hope not. Zero wind should be just that… zero. If not then standard day conditions aren’t standard.

One of the first things I was taught was the only time you’ll ever see “standard” conditions is on a piece of paper. The only time you could ever even hope to see them in real life would be at the coast, with a temp of 20°C, and a pressure reading of 29.92 InHg. If you ever see that perfect combination, do me a favor any buy me a lottery ticket.

Agreed, but this is a simulator, not real life. A simulator where you CAN control lot’s of things that you can’t in real life.

It’s really very important that the simulator does what it say’s it’s doing. Wind is taken into account for many things including performance testing but how do you account for zero wind if it’s not zero?

Hopefully its just a visual bug which I couldn’t care less about. But if zero wind isn’t zero… that’s a problem.

I expect it is maybe a number rounding error issue but yeah, it is a minor annoyance. The turbulence model is what really bugs me though. It is OK most of the time I guess but if I want to simulate some of my real flights there are no settings I can use that will work.

1 Like

This makes a lot of sense. Again I hope it’s just a visual thing and not actual wind when there should be none.