[WIP] Fantasy of Flight

v0.6.0 | May 26, 2023
Download it from my website or at flightsim.to!

Hello all!
I just wanted to announce that I’m working on converting the original FSX Fantasy of Flight airport scenery by Vassilios “Dimus” Dimoulas to MSFS native (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu…74-Fantasy-of-Flight-v1-0-uploaded-to-library).

This conversion is being done with permission from the original author.

Although I say “conversion” this is more of a “based on” scenario, as the only things I will be using from the original scenery are the models and their textures. Everything else, terrain, placement, ect, is all being done from the ground-up. The models themselves, are even getting some tweaks under the hood (Mostly performance related for now). I have substantially reduced drawcalls and am working on adding LODs. Of course, there is much room for improvement, but this would require a complete redo of the textures and remap of all the models.

For now, I’ll leave that for a future update.

I’m expecting to have a dev release out in the next few weeks, after which I plan on further improving the airport over time, maybe even a bit of collaboration (If anyone would be interested). While the 1.0 release version will be available on my website and flightsim.to, the dev version is planned to be exclusive to flightsim.to. This will help to keep most of the discussion/feedback in one place.

I will try to remember to come back and update this post as I make progress, however if I’m to forget, rest assured that you can always check up on the original thread at FSDeveloper:

Until the next update, enjoy some screenshots of 3 days worth of progress!

17 Likes

Looking forward to this. I visited FoF many years ago and got the daily tour. What a treat for any aviation enthusiast.

3 Likes

This is what i wanted to make if i knew how to make scenery. Looking awesome and cant wait to see the finished product!

1 Like

Amazing news!!! Was hoping someone would make it. I even asked the original author if he had plans of converting it to MSFS, but he did not. Glad you took it over.

1 Like

That looks awesome!

1 Like

Looking forwards to your progress!

I’m pretty sure Kermit would be proud!

Woof ~ Woof

Steiny.

1 Like

"We’ve got Cows!"

Made some more progress today. Mostly on painted lines and some object placement. Oh, yea. And I converted and placed some Cow models. They currently roam all over due to the lack of fencing, but hay.

Actually, that’s a lie. They’re pretty stationary.

2 Likes

You could also use available libraries from flightsim.to, they have some animated animals, fencing and really tons of tons of useful items to populate the area.

I thought about that prior, but for simplicity sake, I’m currently using my own object libraries, also available on flightsim.to. I may end up using some of Dave’s libraries, but we’ll see. If anything, it will be the People and Animals library.

1 Like

Is anyone familiar with this style of runway light? I cant find it anywhere. The top looks solid, so I’m assuming that the light is just projected downward? However, that just doesn’t seem right…

The last few days have been pretty tedious. Lots of painting lines, lots of placing fences, a little touch-up here and there… but it’s all starting to come together.

We’re getting really close to the first dev release now! I’m planning for a release this Wednesday. It’s currently Monday (For another 10min), so that gives me tomorrow to get a few remaining tasks done. Which, I think is more than doable. However, if I have to push back, I’ll push it back.

Until then, here’s a whole new set of screenshots showing the latest progress! (Ignore the double windsock, it’s acting out.) :grin:

4 Likes

This looks fantastic!!! You did a great job with this airfield. Cannot wait to fly there my WACO, Ryan ST-A, Spitfire and soon a Stearman.

1 Like

I flew the Corsair out of there last night. Felt right at home.

Just don’t pay any attention to the missing trees (I still have yet to have a good take off in that plane).

1 Like

Looking at the WIP, you’ve got quite the details already… in 2019 i drove by it (as it wasn’t open) and took a couple of photo’s from the Highway (the “bilboards”) and from the entranceroad (byway 559?)
to the east of the compound… i was taking pictures into the sun, and i’ve brightened them up a bit to show the colours that were present… Anyways… here’s some details in the form of photo’s that might help in your hard work to make the dream come true :wink:

The highway-advertising-signs for fantasy of flight.

then onto the entranceroad (559)

Hope it helps you!
|

Would be fun on the entrygate, that you put your own info there, instead of the “we’ll be open from that and that date/time” Sort of like an easter egg. And paste that sign on some sidedoors to hangars. A bit of a reference to your work, and also a watermark for any POS that tries to convert it without your permission in future sims. :wink:

Woof ~ Woof & Salute!

Steiny

ps… i think the brown should probably be a tad darker (as they somehow chose “feces brown” from the lineup of paints :wink: )

4 Likes

Hey, thanks for the photos! I’ve been using mostly photos posted on Google Earth and street view as my references. Always nice to get some more reference content! Especially of smaller details, things you might not see from a distance.

I’ve thought about putting an (or maybe a few) easter egg in the scenery, however it will be in a later release. :slightly_smiling_face:

95% of the custom models are the originals from the FSX scenery by Vassilios. That includes textures as well. My only changes to the models have been reducing drawcalls and adding some LODs (an ongoing effort).

I would like to eventually strip the models down to their mesh, as some optimizations need to be done at that level. The result being, I can probably shave off thousands of unneeded polys. However, that means remapping and texturing everything. So, that will likely be done at a later date, as I want to get a good rendition out for people to use (still on track for a release later today :wink:).

I’ve also been playing with Substance Painter for PBR and have already redone the runway lights with a higher poly mesh and PBR textures. Although, I’m planning on reworking them, as I’m not quite happy with the mapping or textures. But they get the job done for now!

1 Like

I have no clue how the whole process works m8, i’ve been trying to get my head around that, but found i am a user, not a maker… I tried photoshop once for my pictures, never touched it again… i’m just not much of a planner in the creative department. So, i’ll enjoy your scenery addon as much as i can upon release… well… probably a day later, as the update to the game is imminent (the 17th, wasn’t it? you might want to hold onto the release to see if it’s not screwing with your nice addition?)

Keep the good vibes going, glad i could help.

Woof ~ Woof

Steiny

1 Like

Is an update imminent? Oh. Well… too late to turn back now. Let hope everything works correctly!

The first dev release is now available at flightsim.to! Make sure to grab the latest version of both required libraries!!

5 Likes

About those “runway lights” … i’m with you on the “they shine down” as i’m seeing the whole row here as the connie landed in 2001

it’s more like a path-light than an actual runway light. You can even see one of the domes knocked over as the connie lands.

Would be fun, in due time if we can active landinglights like in the real world for uncontrolled airports.

images

Woof ~ Woof

Steiny

1 Like

Just did a flight around the area. Everything seems to be working just fine after today’s sim update.

1 Like

Yeah, just returned from roam around as well, was going to report: All good sir!

1 Like