Wishlist for features of built-in replay functionality

As there is, already, a wishlist topic for this very discussion following the latest Dev Q&A, the posts above have been moved from General Discussion to this voteable thread.

Please take the time to vote, if so inclined.

2 Likes

Did you try those alternatives already?

Disclaimer: I am the author of one of them :wink:

1 Like

To my shame, I have not tried either. Thanks for the links.

+1 For me bro

a replay system which you can add camera effects like contrast etc,would be awesome
(i am doing this already after i record a flight,but with an external app video editor)

I kind of echo the view that a simple capability is needed first. My note of caution would be the outcry and much whailing and gnashing of teeth that would result from the bulk of this community…“What???Is that it??? Why doesn’t it do this, or this, or this or even this…”

I think Seb’s idea of making replay great again by making it a state of flight saving tool is brilliant.
If you ask me, other than building a less buggy built-in replay system…I’d like it to be something like a real “Save Game” function, which could at least record most of the essential parameter, both flight parameter and avionics settings, so that it could function as follow:
1.have a way to save us from the frustration from sudden CTD of a long-haul flight, especially for those CTD occurred on final. Maybe an auto-saving by time/waypoint function?
2.Save the flight as a replayable scenario. This way, you can easily set up your own preset of an initial state for a certain training scenario, such as an approach, simulated engine failure, etc.

Another gimmicky addition could be…what about a ghost flight lead? Record your own flight, and “replay” it in the sim world as if it’s an AI aircraft, meanwhile you can fly as another aircraft, with your own replay as his/her wingman…
A further expansion of the above could be…multiple ghost flight replaying? You can make your own one-man thunderbird/blue angles/etc, or even one-man airshow… lol
And this may even eventually become a Full-fledged mission editor?..

3 Likes

As an aside, FlightControlReplay add on does all of what you’ve just mentioned - other than the replayable scenario part.

1 Like

The last Snapshot that was released has no replay functionality mentioned - what is going on? Do we need to rely on 3rd party replay mods instead of a built in one?

for now… apparently so.

1 Like

I’m really struggling to understand why we have to wait for now almost a year for such a basic function. It doesn’t need to be pretty and have 1000s of functions. I don’t want to depend on third party software and would appreciate a build-in function.
Mostly for rewatching landings or landing challenges from different angles (outside/tower perspective etc.) when meeting and playing with friends. A function I would’ve expected to be built in from the getgo and shouldn’t take a year of development time. It’s also been in the top 5 of the wishlist from the very start.

Would be nice to find a more concrete time line update for it too, so I can decide if it’s worth to read into the whole addon/third party stuff.

1 Like

its crazy that they didnt know how important the replay features is

2 Likes

Several posts were merged from another topic into this one, in order to bundle information.

After todays Q&A the devs sayd they need feedback on what the replay should be. I have some wishes to add, and i hope you guys have something to. For me i have this points that i think should be in the replay.

1.Auto recording from start of flight.

2.Be able to have more preset camera views like tower view, threshold view, flyby.

3.Be able to change view without starting own recording for this.

2 Likes

I would add that the aircraft configuration in the video should match the configuration of the airplane at that particular time in the flight. So, if the engine is running on final during the actual flight, the engine should be running on final in the replay. Same thing for gear, lights, sounds, etc.

4 Likes

When i tested this beta replay i was abit frustrated after recording. I fly in VR and the record does not record the head movements, nor does it record what you do in the cockpit.
Just to see it from different outside angles is not enough for me :no_mouth: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

it should be remade to be user friendly or at the very least a user guide. I don’t have any idea as to what i’m doing with the replay and what i have used…well it leaves much to be desired.

I Just want to be able to

• Start/Stop recording
  • Change the camera view during playback.
  • Save my recording to MP4 or other Youtube/Twitch friendly format in an easy-to-access location on my computer

anything outside of that i’d consider a quality of life improvement. But these are definitely the bare necessities for a replay system.

3 Likes

The interface is not understandable. All I want is review my landing with a single mouse click like in fsx . That doesn’t seem possible

6 Likes

Totally agree. This is what we need. Im sure all of us have done great landings and would love to replay them using these kinds of features. XP11 does the replay thing well - in fact exactly as your 3 points described it. So I hope we see similar in MSFS.

1 Like

It’s very simple. X-Plane does it well: Allow to have a time slider that rewinds the flight to an earlier point in time. No other fancy stuff, just allow the usual camera control like during normal flight, and of course to play from there.
All aircraft states must be like in flight (gear, engine, surfaces, lights).

Basically it’s like active pause (without the bugs) but you can rewind and advance along the flight timeline, and play the recording from there.

No need for fancy video editing or camera recording. No need to define new cameras or change the weather. Need a special weather for your video? Set it in-game.

Leave video creation to the dedicated video capture programs if someone has to make a cool video edit. Most of us just want to assess their landings from the outside.