WMR Scaling and Dev Tools - Some Explanations

First of all: amazing job as always, @CptLucky8, and thanks to you as well, @CurdledTree18, for the precious explanation.

However, I’m still slightly confused: Aren’t you using SteamVR OpenXR runtime @CptLucky8?! Or are your suggestions only targeting WMR OpenXR?

I’m mainly asking because I need to get SteamVR working with a reasonable performance to also get my overlays for external applications working in the cockpit…

1 Like

I haven’t tried yet, but theoretically you should be able to pin desktop windows using WMR. Hit the windows key, I believe?

i have the 3090 with g2 and i cant have good experience with fs2020. i have my settings on high mixed to medioum. In the game 80 % render and open xr default 100%. Do you suggest 50 % on xr and 100 % on the geame render?

It’s nothing but bad against what I’ve posted here… SteamVR + OVR Toolkit is just the gold standard IMO.

@TheMacallan1605 This post is only about WMR OXR (for the G2 for example).

I’m currently preparing a similar discussion as “My VR Settings” (for the Index mostly, but not only it seems) for the Reverb G2 specifically, because although 80% of my recommendations still hold true, the increased panel resolution and the WMR OXR implementation gives some additional room for increasing the graphics settings and still getting good fps. As a matter of fact, FS2020 VR with SteamVR+Index was smoother with SteamVR 1.13.x. Since 1.14 it is all messed up in terms of CPU/GPU sync and frame timing and this is causing a lot of stuttering in FS2020 you can only workaround in mostly lowering Terrain LOD to 50% on my test system.

Ah, okay, thank you for clarifying this! And yes, something definitely went wrong with this. Had an acceptable performance with my (outdated) i7700k+1080TI before during the Beta, now it’s gotten much worse.

Hoping for a fix there soon…

1 Like

This information was amazing in getting my 3080/G2 setup far better than what I wrangled with yesterday. Total game changer. Thank you CurdledTree18 and CptLucky8.

2 Likes

Yes. Those settings were awful on my 3080, and your card is only about 15% faster.

I am getting confused…Yesterday my post process resolution was 3164x3092. Since this morning, not sure what I changed, I can’t get it go higer than 2534x2476. My custom render scale is set to 100% in OpenXR Dev tools. My RS in MSFS is at 70%. I went to 100% RS in MSFS, but still my post process resolution does not get higher than 2534x2476…I thought I had a handle on this…

I am running version 104.2012.9003 of OpenXR dev tools.

EDIT: After restarting the sim, the setting came back. I am able to see the full resolution now…Only thing left to figure out is the wobbling/shaky buildings and planes while turning on the ground.

Where are you changing the openXR settings? I’m in the developer’s tools for windows Mixed Reality but the is no resolution or super sampling changes to be made.
I’m used to making the changes in SteamVR.

OK, guys, I appreciate all of this, but I am SOOOO confused. TAA this and SS that, WMR, OXR, and a dozen other things I don’t understand, and I’ve been a professional computer nerd for a very, very long time.

So… Here’s my ask. I’ve got a 2070 Super with a pretty stout overclock, and a brand new (like the factory dust is still on it new) Reverb G2, and I’m still at the “wow, I actually managed to make it look like I’m in a cockpit” phase, so… Talk to me like I’m 5.

Just tell me what settings you think I should be using, and in what app/place/whatever. I know so little about this stuff that I don’t even know what I should be expecting/hoping/dreaming for, or how to get it.

Gracias in advance!!!

7 Likes

I’ve tried switching the openXR thing to steamXR, and while I do get more FPS, motion smoothing AND much better clarity, there is one huge downside. Upon ctrl tab, i start above the plane, and when I hit space, I end up in the pilot seat, but a) the mouse is nowhere to be seen, b) my ATC window is high above me and worst of all c) I have zero positional tracking, only rotation.
I really, REALLY wish HP had just made it a ■■■■■■■ steamVR headset so there wouldn’t be al those WMR issues…

TAA. Temporal Anti-aliasing. Gets rid of the jaggies and shimmering effects.
SS. Super sampling. Over (or under) sampling of the scene. Again to get rid of the shimmering.
Balancing the two of these for best visual clarity and Frames per second (FPS) is a goal.
Motion Smoothing. If your system cannot maintain the set FPS it can do a couple of things. It can cut the framerate in half of your set framerate or it can throw in “extra” frames to make up the difference. I’m not a fan of motion smoothing because it causes some visual artifacts that I am not a fan of.
WMR. Window Mixed Reality.
OXR openXR. The open source VR language.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the extra details. I had just concluded that I needed to research all this to understand. It makes it much clearer.

Yes that’s what he is saying.

Ok. In that case I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I cannot configure it correctly. It’s either a blurry mess or a slideshow. Just bought a Reverb G2, will not spend another 2500€ right now to upgrade my PC. My wife would kill me :slight_smile: Currently having a Ryzen 3900x, 64GB Ddr4 3800 RAM and RTX 2080Ti. Apparently it’s not enough.

Just bought Aerofly FS 2 on Steam, which is currently on sale. Need to make use of the G2 which for me in MSFS is unusable + from what I heard the flight model is actually better.

Try this:

Before enabling VR in MSFS, start SteamVR via the Steam client. Put on your HMD and look from left to right and then down until the tracking is calibrated—my G1 needs to be initialized like this before I get to the cliff house when not using SteamVR. I need to do it there, too, otherwise moving forward/backward is messed up

Then start your flight and enable VR in MSFS; yes, you need to hit Space anyway but everything should work for you now.

1 Like

OK, so I gave Render Scale 110/OpenXR 50 a quick go last night and it seems to give a fisheye effect when in VR. (Reverb G2 btw)

It would seem that this effect only happens when the HMD resolution, i.e. the OpenXR SS setting is LOWER than the render scale, so when OpenXR is having to downsample the MSFS rendered image.

WMRSS = the custom render scale in OpenXR ?

really struggling to determine what the walls of text above are actually referring to, in terms of settings to change.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly.

So TAA100, etc. means the Render Scale setting in MSFS (with TAA applied)
WMRSS means the OpenXR custom render scale (set in the Developer Tools app)

4 Likes