WMR Scaling and Dev Tools - Some Explanations

I tried the 50 in openXR too, yesterday. And got the same fish-eye/warped result. G2 here also… and rtx3080

Confirmed. This is at OpenXR50 and Render Scale 100 with a G2

Captain what settings in game have you settled on with your G2?

My version of Open XR Developer Tools does not have the Custom Render Scale option. I have version 105.2012.21002.0. Where do I get this magic version with the render scale slider? Microsoft Store does not indicate any other version is available.

I had this issue too. You need to go to the store and update the WMR related apps that have updates (I had two, the portal and WMR ). After a restart the custom render scale shows in the OpenXR dev tools.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks so much for all of this great advice. One question, when I test the method of bringing OpenXR SS down to 50 and then raise TAA to 110, I get solid FPS and clarity however I also end up getting a pretty odd fisheye sort of effect.

When I increase the SS back up though, it goes away. Have you come across this at all? Using a G2. Thanks!

Hey, I had reverted my SteamVR to 1.13 which was great but steam just now updated to 1.15, do you know if this is stable with MSFS through SteamVR runtime? Thanks!!

Reprojection must be turned off to fix fisheyes

Had the same thing. Setting OpenXR to 60 got rid of the fisheye for me but I had to lower FS2020 render to 90 from 100 to recover the performance.

Have you found that you get better results by having openxr render lower and raising FS render (to 90 in your case) or doing it the other way around (higher openxr, lower FS render)?

Thank you for the response!

I got the option once I did all of the pending Windows updates :slight_smile:

Phew, a lot of text, no idea which recommendation belongs to which system. Steam VR ,WMR, open xr etc. Here what set there what set. I no longer see through, I have the feeling that I am an absolute noob.
So I have a hp reverb G2 and a Nvidia RTX 2700 Super. MSFS is currently only running reasonably smooth with WMR with a game resolution of 70% at high settings. Now what would an installation of Open xr improve and why?

this is a bug with v105 (preview) only when you enable motion smoothing (auto or always) and you’re using SS50 or SS55. In addition, when enabling motion smoothing and SS60, the image is less sharp in the G2 than when disabling motion smoothing (which in any case doesn’t kick in for me either).

More comments here

It is just a shorter way to tell both FS2020 Render Scaling value and Antialiasing setting in a convenient 3 letters label. Mind you, besides TAA mode, all others are causing shimmering and would require MSAA or similar to compensate. Therefore it is easier for me to just say for example:

• “TAA 60” is FS2020 Render Scaling 60% with TAA mode
  • “WMR 150” or “SS 150” is OpenXR Render Scale or SteamVR Super Sampling 150%

I’ll post about this soon, I’m nearly done!

I used to use 1.13 with the Index during the beta and for a few days with the G2 with great smoothness, until SteamVR pushes the following 1.14 and 1.15 updates which were not as good for me. How did you manage to install the older version? I didn’t find the correct combo of pack and app id to use in the Steam Console?!

The idea is to balance the two not for extra fps, although these are like a system of 2 equations with many optimal values. It is rather a balance for best legibility up close, or in the distance, or both, depending on your priorities and type of aircraft. For example flying with only analogue gauges you can balance for great outside visuals, and flying mostly EFIS you can balance for great EFIS legibility.

Having said this, thanks to the G2 panel resolution, you can find a sweet balance between the two and I’ll post my recommendations soon!

OpenXR Dev Tools just gives you extra controls to further adjusting the balance for your hardware and headset resolution. Otherwise you might want to wait a little longer until I publish my G2 recommendations and use these as a starting point?

Of course I can wait, thanks for all your effort! :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you for this nice work you put into it.

I just have one question (probably obvious but)… What does “CAS Shader” mean ?

1 Like

Thanks for all the great advice. I have a couple of basic questions about the OpenXR dev tool. Do I have to open the dev tool app every time I use it? Or do the settings “stick”?

Also, is there a way to set it per application? Obvs most applications aren’t going to be as demanding as MSFS, so it’d be nice to leave the default to maximize performance for those.

For a few reasons I would have preferred to use the steamvr version, but the performance is absolutely horrible every time I try. I spawn in up above the plane and it jumps all over the place.

thank you for your kind words!

Using this forum embedded search feature:

It sticks but it is only global (unlike SteamVR per-app + global).

I am having the same issue and I tried your suggestion. The visuals are much crisper when I try using steam vr implementation, but it jerks all over the place. If anyone has any suggestions for this I would be very appreciative. I like that steam vr has per application settings but I can’t get it playable.

It is doing this on my end as well. However I don’t need using SteamVR OXR for the G2, I can perfectly use the WMR OXR instead.

1 Like

Hmm, I guess the jerkiness is not what I was referring too. But I had this problem as well, guess I got rid of the most of it by downloading also the SteamVR for WMR Beta.