Women in MSFS2020?

The one I was in was bush flying, although still not realistic VFR procedures.

You have no idea how many guys I know :joy:

Nor would I and I absolutely love to see women taking an interest in the things I mentioned and FS, the more the better.

1 Like

I am one of the women who play flight sim, but yes we are small in number for sure! I hope as MSFS grows in size and audience, we become more and more diverse. Would love to see more women take to the virtual skies with us. :slight_smile:

53 Likes

I tried to do my part!

I got the girlfriend setup with a comfy chair, the buttkicker, her own headset so she could hear me talk to ATC and them talk back.

It was an hour flight, think she lasted 12 minutes in the right seat, probably the only time a discovery flight ended mid air :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thats pretty much been a myth for a while now. I read a really interesting study recently into it. Within certain demographics more women play computer games than men these days. However it is very divided up in terms the types of games and the age group. I definitely get the impression simulator type games are male centric though.

6 Likes

Yep, I’ve worked in the video game industry since the 90s and there have always been women, and nowadays in the teen-to-35 demographic they’re a huge percentage. Of my 19-year-old son’s friends, most of the girls play games to some degree.

Women tend to not identify themselves in general gaming/sim forums, when they are here. Just read a few of the posts above to see why they might spend their time doing other things rather than dealing with “joking” sexist comments.

6 Likes

Thanks for chiming in, fellow sim pilot!

I started this thread out of curiosity based on my own observations IRL, and it’s been interesting to hear people’s take. I’m an IRL GA pilot, however my best friend is a bad ■■■ lady commercial tubeliner pilot and and she’s friends with LOTS of young women pilots. So it feels like there’s finally starting to be a shift away from the good ol’ boys club and with more women becoming pilots, the percentage and representation will also increase, which will influence the next generation for sure.

The more little girls that see their awesome American Airlines Captain and FOs being female, the more they’ll be inspired to one day pursue aviation as well. So I think it’ll become a cascading effect which will one day make it an even 50/50 split. Then maybe after that happens we’ll get some more lady simulator pilots lol

3 Likes

Absolutely and I couldn’t agree more.

And I can see no valid reason why this should not happen in both the virtual and the real skies alike :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I know a couple personally that do.

Hey there, @Larakitten27, and warm welcome to the community! Very glad to hear you and your daughter enjoy boring virtual holes through the virtual skies of MSFS. The community is happy you two are here.

Now that you are here, please check out the Code of Conduct to better understand the rules of the road in the forums. There is also a Forum Guide where you can learn about the features available for you to use to help navigate the categories. Again, welcome!

1 Like

Women in MSFS… let’s see… Madagaskar it was,

… and what about the LFEQ addin :blush:

1 Like

Thats cause she is captain in a bombardier Q400 i believe. Calgary Based.

1 Like

On vatsim clips I’ve heard some of the ATCs were female.

1 Like

I don’t actually think that there are that less woman around virtual skies, even if the survey makes it seem like this :slight_smile:

I know at least one by myself who is not (yet) with MSFS but who flies in DCS on a regular basis and on XP11 (Zibo Mod 737-800). She is not that interested in any survey or streaming/recording but just doing her thing.

My gf for example and a female friend of us tried at least flight sims using my accounts. For my gf it felt kinda boring so she dropped out rather fast but the other one is actually pretty interested in such complex stuff (she is a vet irl). Anyway she also unlikely would create an account which would show her gender or provide any other clue about who she actually is :slight_smile:

Likely most female simmers are hiding “in the dark” because they just want to have fun and don’t want to be stalked by some random guys :wink:

Anyway another good example on female simmers would be “CaffeinatedMint/beMint” who is a female german streamer flying nearly daily.

Account: Twitch

2 Likes

Yeah, I follow here YouTube channel and Instagram, but she seems to have been MIA for a while. She has been a favorite of in the aviation YouTube world. Last post on Instagram was in April for her, so hopefully all is well for her and she is just super busy ever since she went back to flying again once COVID began to die down in her area.

I recently read Jet Boss by Capt. Laura Savino, who was one of the early woman airline pilots, getting her start in the 80s. Really fascinating book with some great flying stories; would highly recommend it to anyone interested in what it’s like to be a professional woman pilot, and especially for any girls considering flying who want a look at the experience.

1 Like

I’m one of the 1%. I love MSFS and fly most days in VR. IRL I flew mainly small things; hang gliders, ultralights, microlights and gliders. But I got old and now just fly in the virtual world.

I know many other female pilots - it’s really not that unusual. I’m sure there are a lot more women simmers than you realize as well. We just don’t talk about it so much as usually you get met with snide remarks and funny looks.

6 Likes

Talking of female pilots, VeryOldPilot used to be quite vociferous on this forum but I haven’t seen anything from her for months and months.

Is she still around?

Honestly never heard a female voice on Vatsim in 10 years :slight_smile: