Won't go to Full Screen mode, stays only in window mode

have you checked that the UserCfg file is not write protected ?

I will check it. But i mean, i have nothing changed on my gaming laptop in last days. What could change the aircraftcfgā€¦? I

Everything is ok with the usercfg.opt. file. All enabled and full accessā€¦

But i found an additional usercfg.opt.bak in the LocalCache folder in top of the files. And the normal usercfg.opt ist still there :flushed:

Bak files ( backup ) are often created from editors, therefore my question to check whether the file is write-proteced. What I also meant was ā€œfile is not limited to a specific roleā€ ( ā€œcanā€ happen if users edit the file with an editor in admin-mode ). But not sure whether the game itself creates in some situations now backup files.

In my case happens the ā€œwindowed modeā€ only if the updater runs before. Then I also not need to go into the settings, simple one time alt+enter and thats it. Thus, Iā€™am not sure for the moment what happens in your case. In general there is somewhat a bit ā€œmagicā€. I allways fly in Fullscreen , not windowed , but the both settings in the file are allways like that: Windowed 1 FullscreenBorlderless 1 . Also if I change that values manualy to ā€œ0ā€, it will be directly reset to ā€œ1ā€ with the next start of MSFS, but Iā€™am still in FullScreen. May be these settings are not longer relevant, but then Iā€™am currently not sure where the setting is stored ( I have no specific gpu settings for msfs ).

Another idea: do you start MSFS with a Desktop Shortcut ?

Yes, i have a desktop shortcut. But when i start the sim direct from the Microsoft Store or from the XBox App, i also get always the windowed screen. Even when i delete or rename the usercfg.opt and .bak file, it starts in windowed mode after the updater. Normally i should not see the updater, when there is no new update. But i always see the update screen for one or two seconds. This is the reason i thinkā€¦ So strange :grimacing::smirk:

that is normal, as mentioned. We raised a bug, but these was closed like ā€œworks as designedā€. The workaround is Alt+Enter and all should back to normal FullScreen.

ohā€¦ waitā€¦ the updater comes allways on top ?.. Then its clear why it starts allways in windowed mode. But then the problem is a completly different one, than this topic here and we searched the whole time only the sympthoms :rofl: ā€¦ why that happens, not sure at the moment. The update-check is normal, but that it starts in updater mode, hmmmā€¦

When i start the simulator with my other Xbox account (family share), i also get the windowed mode after the short checking for updates screenā€¦ :grimacing:

About the last photo usercfg.opt
U can try this

3th line under (Video)

Change the line windowed 1 into windowed 0

Save the file and start the sim.

Also check this with your other account for they maybe in a sync loop and may overwrite each other.

Thanks. But Iā€™ve tried setting the windowed mode to 0 several times, it has no effectā€¦ I donā€™t understand why it says 1 next to windowed as default. With my other large gaming PC I donā€™t have the window problem and there is also a 1 for windowed mode in usercfg.opt. Problem is only on my gaming laptop.

MichaMMA wrote, that he have also the windowed mode 1 in his usercfg.opt, but the sim starts normal in full screen mode.

The other Xbox account is only a few days old, but the problem was there before, so it shouldnā€™t be a sync loop problem eitherā€¦

1 Like

Okay than maybe some setting in windows maybe wrong like scaling or all app how to say this in windowmode or something like that. Due to some window update.

All Windows 10 and Nvidia settings are correctā€¦ The problem is, that the sim always shows the update screen and with that, the sim goes by design into this windowed screen. This should only be, when really a new sim update is available. But at the moment there is no sim or world update and i have the latest version installed! Maybe when there is a new update, it will correct itselfā€¦ :person_shrugging::smirk::see_no_evil:

Another question @MRTNAIRLINES
Have u logged off both xbox accounts and the microsoft store account ,
If not you can try to log them off, and update the microsoft store account first before the xbox app
And then log in account one by one and see if this helps solving the problem but becarefull because family share can be difficult matter, i find.
If you are not sure about this, try to get help from support and explain them the problem
I find them very helpfull with troubleshoot

Of course, i have tried absolutely everything again and againā€¦ Logins and Logouts and ā€œrepairedā€ the Flight Simulator app and Xbox app and uninstalled and reinstalled the Xbox app.

Iā€™ve also contacted the Xbox support chat before, but the guy had even less clue than me and absolutely no idea what the problem could be.

I think Iā€™m the first and only person in the world to encounter this errorā€¦ :confused:

How can i start the simulator in safe mode. Then i will check this.

Thanks!!

Start the sim and close it with X right upper corner and restart sim during booth it will ask you to continue normal mode or safe mode due to unexpected closure
Select safe mode

I did it a few times with the X on the first screen or later at the update screen, but i never get the safe modeā€¦ :thinking::see_no_evil:

Safe mode just runs without any addons so if you remove/unlink all (and I mean all) addons you are effectively in safe mode.

Causing the sim to crash is a way to get the Safe Mode prompt. Might try shutting the sim down via the task manager to try and force it

It is very strange indeed, something must be very wrong or mixed up, with your setup on the laptop, i hope your pc is allright. For now im out of options for you but i hope you find a solution for this, and when you do please let us know.

Regards

O.K. i give upā€¦ Now i will uninstall and reinstall the simulator on my gaming laptopā€¦ With my 50 MBit/s it takes a lot of time :grimacing:

I hope everything is fine after that.

Thanks for your support!!! :+1:t4:

After a complete reinstall, everything is fineā€¦ :+1:t4: No windowed mode and starts always in full screen again :wink:

1 Like

This is just a suggestion that may or may not help anyone else who has some similar problem and the solution for the original topic poster doesnā€™t work for them:

Go to your ā€œLocalStateā€ folder. I have MSFS installed on a different drive from my O/S drive but the LocalState folder path for me would be this: A :\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3716146317-1884533606-4112484380-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

Your path should be similar with exception to the Drive ID Letter. Open the LocalState folder and if you see a file named ā€œrunning.lockā€, delete it. That file will usually be generated when your Flight Sim crashed or wasnā€™t shut down correctly.

Typically, the running.lock file will prompt MSFS to ask if you want to open the sim in normal mode or in a limited mode. However, in your case Iā€™m thinking that maybe it is contributing to the windowed mode issue.
FWIW