Worcester Gliding Site review - nice place for winter soaring

I’ve been testing gliding sites using live weather. South of the equator is the place to be at the moment. My first trip was to Cape Town but I intend to go to a number of gliding sites both the MSFS (glider friendly ones) and real sites.

Site: Worcester gliding club, South Africa (near Cape Town)

General terrain: semi mountainous with some grassy planes. Good distance from main Cape Town city.

Weather: for live weather currently good. Winds seem to be westerly/southerly some thermals usually above towns and brown fields.

Airfield: good model of club house with a massive main runway and a small cross runway.

Launch types: towing easily possible from vast main runway, winch launching easily possible although you would need to find a thermal.

Local soaring: there is a mountain to the north of the airfield. It’s ideal for building up initial height inspite of being a fair distance from the airfield. I would recommend a tow to 2-3k feet followed by pushing out to the cliff. Good thermals off the local towns on the way.

Cross countries: easy route to the north up an interesting valley with a horseshoe end to it. I caught some good thermals in the valleys albeit the usual weird MSFS ones. I will post an example I’ve done.

Suggested weather: for non live weather a good plan would be thermals with a high cloud base and a strong westerly. Make sure any wind is over 12 kts as that makes the mountains work much better.

Summary: really good site, interesting scenery and good airfield. It’s not the alps but it has some good mixed terrain which means you can practice a mix of gliding.

9 Likes

Thanks for this great info. Also today i was flying your route with live weather. Took me long couse of the weak energy. The mountains line up perfect for a big round of souring. Thanks again

1 Like