World Tour - advice sought

Hi, I’m a few weeks into MSFS 2020. I have started a world tour to challenge myself. I started in the King Air but soon realised range limits limit the experience too much. I can get about in the CJ4 but still have to learn to program my flight plan manually. Below you can see my journey so far. UK down to West coast of Africa and across to South America. I’ve arrived in Rio and will do sightseeing in a Cessna today. Then I’m heading down to the Falkland Islands. I research countries ahead to consider weather, politics, geography, tourism. I just learned a lot about Liberia and decided against going to Paraguay!

Any suggestions about places to visit? Also, I’m interested in plane upgrades although I don’t want to fly passenger jets - not ready for that yet. But another small jet would be interesting - any suggestions welcomed, and advice.

I didn’t know how to fly the a320 fbw until I watched YouTube videos, soon got to grips. I’m doing a world tour myself, set off from teesside and currently in kathmandu and doing it in 1 hour legs. Sort of zig zagging my way across and deciding on the next stop off on the day

1 Like

Yes thee are some very good YouTube videos I agree. I fly whole flights in real time and use time to watch/read up to improve my knowledge as I go. I have lots of jumps to go in South America, then have so many places I want to see in the USA. I can imagine it will be the summer before I finish.

The challenge (and reward) is to do it in real time with live weather, and in an aircraft that requires good planning for fuel and range and at lower levels so that you do actually see the world. Also something that means you do actually have to fly the aircraft. I’ve seen some use the A 320, use AI etc, can’t see the challenge in that myself, but each to their own.

1 Like

I agree with the comments from Oldahpilot… take time to see the details. Hard to do that from 35,000 ft especially during inclement weather. Whether you see MSFS as a flight simulator or scenery simulator, make it worth the effort.

If you are not choosing a light aircraft because it doesn’t have the range to cross an ocean, just skip the ocean flight. Land at an airport near the ocean and start again on the other side.

Researching all places you visit is a great idea. I do that all the time. I look at hotels, understand the culture and scan photos. Makes you feel like you’ve been there.

1 Like

And don’t forget to take this with you for even more immersive experience… Jumpseat Radio » Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 Like

Here are some countries to visit:

2 Likes

I’m currently on Leg 14 of mine, am completing it in the Bonanza which allows me to fly between 6000-12000ft or so. This allows it to be interesting and be able to see all the scenery etc. It does make flight planning and weather a real consideration; I’m completing it with real weather enabled.

There is enough range to get across the oceans with a few random stops along the way. I am planning on visiting every continent. I started with a brand new Bonanza from the Beechcraft factory in Wichita and my route will finish there at the end.

I need to do some route changes as I miss a lot of Russia & Canada, Eastern Europe currently.

All in the route currently stands at 85,518 nautical miles which in theory will take 836 hours and 22 minutes or nearly 35 days on non-stop flying! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s amazing, good luck. I felt the need to go from turbo prop to jet to jump across the Atlantic at its closest point. I have so many places in North America to visit I may make dash across and plan a separate tour for there. Something smaller might be a lot of fun to see more.

Thanks for sharing your plan.

1 Like

Nice idea. I really like the thought of another way to immerse myself into a local picture.

I completely agree. Live Weather is an issue until they fix it. As soon as I started flying a jet, the live weather kept making me lose avionics and then CTD. Trying my first long range flight (Rio to Buenos Aires) to test it out without live weather. Fingers crossed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.