World Update X - Greece?

That would be absolutely fantastic. If they follow the geographical scanning pattern of Europe as they currently do Greece and the Balkans should be next for update. It also makes great sense that falls during the beginning of summer season (June). What a great opportunity to fly over some of the most idyllic islands of Greece (Santorini, Rhodes, Crete, Mykonos, Paros, Naxos, Corfu, Lefkada, Paxoi, Zante, Kefalonia etc) and for the winter/spring trips over some mountains and mainland wild scenic beauties of Greece (Papigo, Olympos, Taygetos, Dirfi etc). Finally to see major cities like Athens and Thessaloniki and smaller ones (Chania, Ioannina, Pylio etc) receive a good revamp along with some ancient monuments across the country (Olympia, Delfi, Temples and ancient theaters across the country etc).

GetImage

c9

15 Likes

Beautiful scenery and great history. Can’t beat that.

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning, one question though. The picture named"Images_707x830-2," where is that? It looks like my dream location, small beautiful and not many people :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a world beyond Europe guys. I’m sure we will get Greece eventually, but I’m hoping for some diversity here. Hope we get Southeast Asia or Latin America next.

9 Likes

Absolutely, I could not agree more. Personally I would love to see Africa’s landscape completely revamped with very high quality aerial photography and satellite imagery. All the way from Egypt, Algeria and Lybia to Nambia, Mozambique, South Africa and Madagascar. Also Indonesia needs a good touch as well, some of the most stunning places on earth.

The reason I brought up Greece, apart from being Greek myself (so obvious bias there :wink: ), is for the simple fact that I noticed the coverage pattern they use lately does not only focuses on Europe but mostly the Med and moves from West slowly slowly to the East. We had Spain and Portugal, now we will be having Italy, so the natural follow up should be Greece and the Balkans (Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania etc). It makes no sense to stop the European/Med package there and move to another region on the planet. Greece and Balkans should bring the European region update to a natural conclusion and then we can focus on other regions.

2 Likes

The place is called Fyskardo. It’s in the island of Kefalonia and it’s an absolutely stunning place filled with great food and a classic stop over spot for sailing boat owners (kind of like La Rouchelle and Portofino).
I have been there only once and it was pretty quite and relatively unknown back then, loved it. The following summer the film “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin” was filmed and the whole place was swarmed by Hollywood A listers - Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Steven Spielberg, Nicolas Cage, Penelope Cruz etc. Tasia’s Tavern on the port, which is well known for its exquisite lobster pasta, became - and still is to this day - the place to be ever since.

https://www.themediterraneantraveller.com/kefalonia-fiskardo/

2 Likes

@EggplantCrown98 Great to see Symi in your selection of locations!

I think the birthplace of Western civilisation should be a priority for world updates for sure, fantastic sites to see.

For the Local Legends can I place early votes for Pegasus and Icarus!?

2 Likes

Greece would be epic, especially if done with good water masks.

I agree they need to give the world outside the majority white populations more love. Having said that it makes sense to concentrate on areas where it’s currently spring or summer given the reality of satellite textures.

2 Likes

+1 to this. But I have been grateful thus far for every WU. I have fsdg Rhodes (As well as their other islands) and its fabulous!!! I am a bit biased myself being Canadian, and would love to see my home country in a WU, but am also patient. Canada as it stands isn’t that bad (BC def needs a DEM) And I would hope to see the Caribbean/ South America next

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more… Africa deserves attention… and SE Asia as well… etc etc… BUT…
as a fellow Greek I am also voting for a :greece: WU10

For those who haven’t done so already, flying around the Greek islands is magnificent, and most of them have an airport of some size, incl the Greek St Maarten LGSK :smiley:

In fact they could also add more from the Balkan peninsula. Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and other countries have wonderful scenery for flying.

4 Likes

AFAIK where I am living at Down Under does not belong to Europe, so…

Scanning east, the next one would be New Zealand.

Sorry :grin:

It should be Brazil.

:handshake: you nailed it.

But let them do europe quickly untill it is finished so there are no more excuses for the rest of the world then :wink:.

I wait for the middle and south americas and africa mostly.

2 Likes

I’ll be happy with every World Update, but I’d prefer if after Italy they stepped outside Europe for a bit.

1 Like

I am referring to the last two (WU8,9). It covers the Mediterranean countries from West to East starting from Portugal and Spain moving to Italy and Malta. Only thing missing now is Greece, Balkans and Cyprus to conclude. It makes no sense to move to another region before they update the last piece of European region puzzle.

1 Like

Me too. I would love to see more of Africa actually but It makes no sense to move to another region before they update the last piece of European region puzzle which is Greece Cyprus and the Balkans.

Yes this would be great

1 Like

As much as I want to see other areas see some love, Greece would certainly be great to improve, and I would be very happy.

South America would be great, Argentina, Brazil…

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: World Update China