Worse Performance - SU7 - FPS

So its been a little while since I was here, I ended up wiping Windows 10 off my machine, and FS 2020 along with it. Reinstalled Win 10. Then reinstalled FS 2020, all 115gb of it. Stock out-of-the-box settings in FS2020 and its as smooth as butter again. I think there was something very wrong with my initial SU7 installation.

I am trying it in DX12 mode, and while it seems to be about 10 FPS down, its still around 50 and completely playable.

Now I hope this isn’t what I have to do every time they do an update.

1 Like

I watched the on-line MS/Asobo video conference yesterday. It seems that this big performance issue was not mentioned at all and I am wondering why.

1 Like

Turning down scenery LOD from 400 to 200 has helped my problem a lot. To the point where eg San Fran scenery (all settings on Ultra - my I7 9700K and 2070 RTX Super, 64 GB DDR4 3200, 1080 AOC 27 in monitor, 1 TB NVMe, 5-600 Mbps cable) is running 50-70 fps. But still have this massive imbalance between CPU/GPU (60%/5%) and the MSFS fps box is mostly green but goes back to red at times. Is this not really a “fix”? See my comment below re the video conference yesterday.

as mentioned… for me its not important whether a dev-tool , monitoring tool, whats ever show me a red line… for me it is important that my own eyes tell me all is fine. In your case it sounds you found a setting to get 50-70fps, so seems okay for me moment. That developers do future optimizations is allways possible and I guess it is what players expect ( and hope with coming dx12 ). Not sure what else I can say :relaxed:

1 Like

I too did a full reinstall after seeing others reporting the same. One thread which im looking for…mentioned that possibly su6 or 7 corrupted a windows core file and was causing the cpu throttling effect for a few seconds and then release back to normal. the name shcore.dll springs to mind for some reason.
watched the Q&A and was surprised the performance stutterings and fps drops wasnt mentioned…BUT…if something they had done had infact caused a corrupt file…it wouldnt suprise me they remained silent…microsoft releasing a game update that damages the OS it sits on isnt something theyd want to own up to.

1 Like

Yea, but having a SU (7) so degrade performance, and not even talk about it? … I think it happened last time too … seems weird to me, as I think this problem has a higher priority, higher than all the ones they went through, but was it even brought up in the chat stream ? … even if they can’t “fix” it, I would like to know the thoughts and mechanism behind it …

2 Likes

my CPU / GPU is generally 50-60% / 5%, on scenery LOD 200, settings on ULTRA, 1080, rendering scaling 100% (I7 9700k, 2070 RTX Super, 64GB DDR 4 2133) … how do you get GPU utilization so high ?

Lift your resolution above 1080p.

my monitor is only AOC 27 inch 1080 27G1 … do you mean rendering scaling ? … it doesn’t bump up GPU % utilization at all …

If you really want to do it use the new DLDSR built in to the latest Nvidia driver.

1080 isn’t really a taxing resolution for modern-ish GPU’s

I just installed 511.23 … I see DSR Factors and DSR Smoothness, but not DLDSR …

Look in GeForce Experience settings. You can enable the scaling there.

Thanks ! … :nerd_face:

1 Like

Got it up to about CPU/GPU 45%/10% …

I have near 4K resolution and this is hard work for my 2080TI :slight_smile:

@f14billy @Pascalm207

I’m super curious to see if these 11 photogrammetry cities crush performance like the other WU’s do. Doesn’t seem like this issue has gotten the attention of the devs. I still have all of the WU photo cities uninstalled except USA.

We should do a test with them downloaded and without and see what kind of drop we get.

I will be doing that later today and update my findings in the thread:

1 Like

Thanks for the info on DLDSR, I’ve read several articles on it and am experimenting with it with my RTX 2070 Super and AOC 27G1 and I7 9700K and DDR 3200 64GB … DL 2.25, no smoothing, Render Scaling 200, antialiasing TAA, Terrain LOD 200-400, all ULTRA … San Francisco FPS 50-60 (now only 30-40) … no stuttering, visually, nice, sharp, high resolution 4K-type(?) appearance …

1 Like

It’s not about a steady drop of FPS for me, but rather complete freeze of the sim for 2 to 3 seconds. Sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes every 1 minute… Very unsatisfying.

2 Likes

Too much GPU for that resolution. You can try with better quality graphic settings, LOD, Antialiasing, etc.