Would Asobo considers getting MSFS 2020 compatible with Linux?

The Steam Deck is coming soon, and I don’t think MSFS 2020 is compatible with Linux, so I wonder if Asobo considers making it compatible since is a game included in the Steam’s store.

6 Likes

My guess is no. Microsoft is involved and Microsoft wants you to use Windows.

4 Likes

There’s as much chance of it coming to PS5. Anyway, good luck getting all of your sim peripherals, supporting apps and utilities, TrackIR, VR, etc working on Linux as well.

2 Likes

It already is without them doing anything: https://www.protondb.com/app/1250410

Minus ATC voices and a few other things though.

3 Likes

You can download windows linux today, you download it configure it and compile it then deploy it and your all set. I dont think it will run this native, but as of late MS is starting to embrace linux more and more.

I run Linux for anything serious and when I care about system and file security. That’s why I won’t be running Linux under Windows.

It is interesting that FS2020 can be made to run under Linux, though. I really am surprised. But I seriously doubt Microsoft/Asobo will do anything to make it run better and Microsoft, if they stay true to their history, might cripple it now that they know folks are working on it.

windows linux isnt linux running in windows, its a standalone linux system that MS wrote. Like I said you download the source compile it to run on your machine then install it. Havent tried it, just read about it last week, Im guessing though that if you have to configure and compile it yourself, that your gonna have the use the C enviroment in windows, but if you have a diff flav of linux running you might be able to compile it there.

Havent got that bored yet that I want to try it, but winter is comming and I might as well have something to do if it comes right down to it.

Oh god no, then. If Microsoft made a distro, then that’s the last distro I’ll ever run. Compiling from source isn’t bad, but what an odd way to distribute a distro these days. I’ve built from source but it was a long time ago. That’s an advanced topic and another barrier to entry but doesn’t surprise me. No idea why they would do that.

Ah yes the 5 floppy disk days I remember them well LOL…

1 Like

It sounds like you’re referring to the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), which is not a Linux distro – it’s a system for running Linux processes on top of the Windows kernel, either via a kernel syscall translation layer (the older WSL1) or a virtual machine running a regular Linux kernel (the newer WSL2).

In both cases, you run executables from a standard Linux distribution such as Ubuntu or Debian. Microsoft only distributes the support software itself; installers for several distributions are available in the MS Store such as Ubuntu and Debian.

This is intended mostly for developer usage as these days a lot of web/server-oriented developers use production stacks based on Linux, and it makes development a lot easier on a Windows workstation that has a well-integrated Linux environment.

In the latest developer versions (eg, will be included in Windows 11) there’s even some support for GUI apps using Wayland or X11.

It’s pretty neat, but it has nothing to do with running MSFS on Linux. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So it’s basically the opposite of Wine or Crossover and instead of providing Windows hooks in Linux, it provides Linux hooks in Windows?

That could actually be handy! There’s a number of Linux programs I’d love to have in Windows!

1 Like

Pretty much yeah. :smiley: I used it sometimes for utilities I just happen to know better from Linux, and other times for dev work.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I guess if security is your upmost important, you can have a standalone windows machine that you only use specifically for MSFS. No other apps installed and no other data is stored there, just pure base Windows 10 with only MSFS. Then you can also put in your security software in there and some VPN to make your connection secure. You could also have a separate internet connection with a different ISP through a different hardline, so your Windows computer doesn’t get connected to any of your home network, essentially cutting it off from everything else in your home. Don’t put any data in your Windows MSFS PC and make sure VPN is running all the time.

Reducto ad absurdum.

It’s actually much easier than that. But no need to explain it to such a Windows devotee.

Nope its not Linux Subsystem for windows, it MS/Linux (not what its called but) its a standalone linux distribution that you have to download compile and deploy, no windows involved in any way other then its a MS project. I know about the Subsystem as well, and I can assure you what Im speaking of is not the same thing.
Here you go here’s an article on it:

2 Likes

Well knock me over. It is a Linux distro. I can see why customers might want to stay with one vendor but my guess is this won’t be/isn’t a widely adopted or used distro.

Microsoft has been fighting a battle worldwide as more governments and organizations decide to make the switch to Linux. I guess this way they can offer Linux with that same hulking Microsoft face.

Yuuch.

Neat! files away for future reference :slight_smile:

They have decided to give up forcing you to not use Linux, as long as they can charge you for services and developer tools. :wink:

1 Like

Its also geared toward the Azure platform and those types of MS services. I have room for ‘another’ vm I might just have to check it out.

It would be nice if some MS / Asobo Linux geek do a native port of this to Linux that would be really swell. Thats how AA did it in 2.* days until they discovered that when they banned someone in the windows version, they wouldnt be banned in the linux version, so the development ended. But there is no reason to have to ban anyone in this. My aimbot/wallhack are still a year away from completion LOL