Would like some advice on buying a VR headset

I’m absolutely addicted to MSFS in my G2. Clocked up about 300 ‘flying’ hours in GA (JF Arrow, BSS Islander and the WT CJ4). All work pretty well on my setup (not to say other airplanes don’t, those are just what I have been flying).

You have to be clear on the limitations though. Although davidamills comments are very harsh in my opinion, there is some truth to it. The LCD displays and lens systems used by the consumer headsets at the moment are a limiting factor and the displays are not as bright, clear or wide as we’d all like. I can read the instrument displays just fine in the CJ4 if I look directly at them. I wear glasses so I’m used to not having so much peripheral vision … which probably helps the experience. I find that the immersion of using VR outweighs the limitations and seldom fly without using VR now.

I have i7 9700 + RTX2080Ti and it works pretty well. There have been quite a few comments on problems with Windows mixed reality (which the G2 uses) and AMD processors. Can’t comment personally, but worth looking into.

No idea if this is relevant to you of course, but generally one other point for those of us of a ‘certain age’ - the lens system of VR headsets means that you’re looking at a ‘screen’ something like 6ft away (even when you think you’re looking at something close), so varifocal glasses don’t work well. I had to dig out an old pair with much weaker varifocal strength than I normally wear.

Another good discussion on this topic here

2 Likes