Wrong ammeter readings on Cessna 172SP classic

No problem, happy to help! :blush:

I tried to mod it, but I couldnā€™t get it working because of the protection on the 172 classic, I guess. Is there a workaround?

All I did was to make a Mod, with the same folder structuere to reach the xml code, with with all the other files, and any additional folder, removed.

Then, when MSFS runs, as normal with a mod in the community folder, it load the original files from Official, and then overwrites any matching ones in community.

You do not need to know anything about the .fsarchive files ā€¦ they will not be in your mod.

Iā€™m new to this, but I think I may understand it enough to make my simpler mods work. :slight_smile:

I see. So if I understand it correctly, you made a mod for the XML file, not the C172, right?
If that is it, then it changed that for all aircraft that used the same file, is that correct?

What I tried was to make a mod for the C172 classic, but it did not work. It did work for other unprotected aircraft though. I am fairly new to this too and the mod thing is very interesting, but I still wrapping my mind around it.

Well, partly. the mod is for the plane, but it adds the modded gauge for that planeā€¦ so it only works with the C172.

If you want to mod the gauge for all planes, then you make a mod to specifically mod that Gauge.

What you ā€œcouldā€ do, which is not recommended, is to take the approach that YOU will be Asobo and fix it ā€¦ ie Mode the files in Official, but then make notes of what you did, so if on an update, if the file gets updated, and not fixed, you can go back in and re-edit the new file.

That would end up be the simplest way to do it., and is what I did initially, so see if swapping the Min & max would fix it, before making a Mod for community.

My Mod does lots of other odd things, otherwise i would share it with you.
As it stands at the moment it has other issues, and would just cause you even more issues than the one you have.

1 Like

What I donā€™t understand from your approach is if you made a mod with the same xml structure to hit ā€˜Instrument_Subtemplates.xmlā€™, you made a mode for possibly all aircraft that hit that same file, not just the 172, right?

Unless you have a mod for the 172 classic with your own ModelBehaviour or something like that using the fix, which would imply to rewrite all .cfg files that are encrypted. Was that what you did? Maybe I am missing something, sorry.

You are Modding a Gauge

You have two options:

(1) mod the actual Gauge, which will mod it for all aircraft
(2) Add the moded gauge to a c172 mod, as a Mod for the C172 ā€“ which is what I did.

If the Ammeter gauge display wrong in all Planes that use it, you may as well just Mod the Ammeter gauge,

It seems you can have the original encrypted files, and add another non encrypted file for the gauge.

Makes sense.

I know it has been said before, but I hope Asobo opens the files for the protected aircraft. It is way less work and money investment for them if they let modders work on them.

Thank you, Geoff! :blush:

1 Like

You deserve a lot of thanks too, for bringing this up, and contributing to a much better understanding of this issue, and a work-around until it gets fixed.
Many hands make light work!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, @TheSevenflyer. This spirit of companionship is one of the things that makes the aviation and simulator community so great. We work better together!

1 Like

I was curious about your statement, @UncleReiben and went to test the 172 G1000. It does not seem that the ammeter there in inverted.

Discharging with low RPM or alternator off. Changing with high RPMs. The accuracy may be off though, but whether positive or negative seems correct.

I can confirm that, nice big -ve Current draw when you hit the starter (as expected)

I suspect its the animation in the C172 Steamsā€™ Ammeter Gauge, rather than a logic error, revesring some or all of the currents.

The C172 Steam also has a reversed animation in one of its Light Rotary controls.

Maybe the Asobo developer doing the animation, was just having a ā€œBad Dayā€

ā€“ that French Red wine can give you a nasty headache and hangover that can last all the next day !!

The electrical simulation in all MSFS products has always been ā€œcrudeā€.

Every device is defined to have a fixed current draw, or maybe even a current draw that is a function of voltage, as if the load is resistive.

remember V/I = R ( or I = V/R )

Well Not all devices in the plane are Resistive.

Some , that have Inverters (ie Electronics, even LED lighting), will draw MORE current, when the voltage drops.

I do not expect ASOBO planes to be this detailed, but one would hope that a study plane, such as developed by PMDG, they would model the current draw correctly ??

Also, in the ASOBO planes, if you flatten your battery, to a point where the starter solenoid cannot engage, or when it does engage, it drops out again, as the starter draws current and drops the voltage ā€¦ etc etc ā€¦ none of that is simulated.

IRL, if you flatten your battery to the point that the starter motor will not stay engages, you still have plenty of charge left in the battery, to use the radio, and call for a Jump Start. !!
(not that I have found a way to do that with the C172 in the sim ā€“ only way I have found is to go load another or same plane)

OK to do, if you could in the Sim, but NOT something I would recommend IRL.

I would always want to start a flight with a well charged battery ā€“ no jump starts , or swapping out a defective battery at 5000ft. (although thatā€™s where a standby battery can save your bacon)

I jumped in to dev mode to run through some aircraft after you posted. It seems more like I just have bad luck with the aircraft I play with :frowning:

C172 Classic (Reversed)
B350 (Reversed)
C208 (Reversed)
TBM9 (Reads zero)
C700 (Reversed)
BE58 (Ammeter not displayed, only Load)

I popped into the C172 G1000, D400, and SR22 and they indeed seem fine.

1 Like

The Battery/Alternator Switch(es) is wrong also. IRL if you turn on the Alternator the Battery is turned on as well. Not so in the Cessnas in the sim, didnā€™t check other planes.

Easy fixā€¦ just reverse the Min & Max values in the .xml file

The more complex fix, is to reverse the Animation, which is probably the root cause of the issue.
GOOD LUCK with that ā€“ just reverse the Min-Max :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.