Wrong ammeter readings on Cessna 172SP classic

Brief description of the issue:
The ammeter on the Cessna 172SP classic seems to be giving wrong readings.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
When the alternator is off the ammeter is indicating a huge charging:

At high RPMs (alternator on) the ammeter indicated a solid discharge:

At low RPMs (alternator on), the indication seems correct:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Just fire up a C172 classic and play around with the power settings and the alternator.

I was able to identify which variable this is using: ā€˜ELECTRICAL BATTERY LOADā€™ in Instrument_Subtemplates.xml. I am not convinced that this is just an inversion of the correct behaviour, since low rpm is correct at this point.

Great aircraft! Hope this helps.

There is nothing wrong if ELECTRICAL BATTERY LOAD is the variable.
That variable would measure the amount of power the battery is putting out.
In the first instance, with the alternator off, there would be a huge load on the battery, and that is what the gauge shows.
With the alternator on, load on the battery is reversed, it is getting power.
So with high RPM it is getting a lot of power, as it would, and this shows as a large negative load.
At low RPM it would not get so much power from the alternator, so the negative load would be small, and the gage actually does show that, slightly below zero.

This also had me going around in circlesā€¦

In a car, if it has an Ammeter, it indicates how much the battery is Charging ā€¦ ie + = alternator is putting current INTO the battery, ā€“ ie Alternator OUTPUT

In the C172, the whole concept is different ā€¦ The Ammeter is measuring how much current is being drawn FROM the battery.

So Its backwards, from a car ā€¦

Think of it as Battery Discharge amount ā€“ the more +ve it is, the more it is flattening your battery.

Use the Starter motor, and it maxes out POSITIVE.,

So, when the Plane is running, you do NOT want to see it go Positive, you want to see it stay negative.

Difficulty to remember, as one is so use to the Ammeter in a car.

Maybe Think of it as AMMETER WARNING ā€¦ the more Positive it reads, the HIGHER the WARNING. ie it is measuring battery LOAD

• is BAD
  • is GOOD

EDIT 1/6/2020

DISREGARD all above. The issue is the c172 Ammeter Gauge, most likely in a reversed animation.

> + is GOOD Charging
> - is BAD Discharging ā€“ eventaully leading to a flat battery, and being unable to start the Plane.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t have figured it out if he hadnā€™t posted the variable.
I worked in an electrical power plant control room for 30 years.

I donā€™t know if that is what the actual airplane gage measures.

MSFS is an ā€œeducationā€ in so many things

Both Technical, and ā€œSocialā€ :wink:

1 Like

Never really though too much about it before, but strange that the C172 Ammeter does not have a GREEN band, from 0 to say -45A

Then, Ammeter ā€œin the Greenā€ is a good, working state.

Anything +ve is eventually going end up with a flat battery
Anything more negative than -45A probably indicates the battery has an OVERCHAGE issue, which will also, over time, cause issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input, but I stand by my statement. If the animation part is correct, that variable would be adequate for a Loadmeter, not an Ammeter.

Hereā€™s an easy to understand explanation: Electrical Systems

Finally, the best source to solve this problem is the 172SP POH. Here are some interesting excerpts:

INSUFFICIENT RATE OF CHARGE:

If the overvoltage sensor should shut down the alternator and trip the alternator circuit breaker (ALT FLO), or if the alternator output is low, a discharge rate will be shown on the ammeter followed by illumination of the low voltage annunciator (VOLTS). Since this may be a ā€œnuisanceā€ trip out, an attempt should be made to reactivate the alternator system.

STARTING ENGINE (With External Power)

e. Engine RPM ā€“ INCREASE to approximately 1500 RPM (as engine RPM increases, alternator output should increase to meet the system load requirements).
f. Ammeter and Low Voltage Annunciator ā€“ CHECK (the ammeter should indicate in the positive direction, showing that the alternator is supplying current and the Low Voltage Annunciator (VOL TS) should not be lighted).

AMMETER:

The ammeter/vacuum gage is located on the lower left side of the instrument panel. It indicates the amount of current, in amperes, from the alternator to the battery or from the battery to the airplane
electrical system. When the engine is operating and the master switch is turned on, the ammeter indicates the charging rate applied to the battery. In the event the alternator is not functioning or the
electrical load exceeds the output of the alternator, the ammeter indicates the battery discharge rate.

Iā€™m not disagreeing, all Iā€™ve said is that given that variable, the gage probably reads correct.
It does indicate the load.
Obviously, that is not the correct way this gage should operate.
It needs to take a lot more into account than that one amperage reading, as you have shown above.
That, as you have discovered, is probably the source of the problem.

I now an believing that the c172 is wrong, and the direction of the Ammeter is reversed.

The C150ā€™s ammeter is working the other way around, and that makes a lot more sense.

• = charging. - = discharging

So, is there an easy way to reverse the Ammeter in the C172 ??

Precisely. I was about to reply to your other (edited) post. Your line of thought seems correct for the ā€œLoadmeterā€ as far as I could verify. I do agree that the POH is not very clear about charging being positive or negative though.

There are some clues in the manual though that points for ā€œchargingā€ been positive and ā€œdischargingā€ being negative.

e. Engine RPM ā€“ INCREASE to approximately 1500 RPM (as engine RPM increases, alternator output should increase to meet the system load requirements).
f. Ammeter and Low Voltage Annunciator ā€“ CHECK (the ammeter should indicate in the positive direction, showing that the alternator is supplying current and the Low Voltage Annunciator (VOLTS) should not be lighted).

The ammeter in the steam 172 being reversed is a known bug. Charging should read in the positive range, and not the negative.

Sadly, that plane is one of those that are locked down. If you had access to the xml source, it would likely be as simple as an errant ā€œ-ā€ sign in the gauge code. But those files are encrypted for the upgrade package planes.

I experimented other variables that showed inverted ā€œmore correctā€ values, but Sometimes the low rpm also got inverted (showing charging). I think they should investigate it since it maybe that they quite donā€™t have the correct variable in this case yet.

The variable and file used is not encrypted. It may adversely affect other aircrafts though.

1 Like

It should only affect another aircraft if that aircraft used that gage.
I would be more concerned with other systems in the 172 classic that may also use that reading in their programming.

The instrument is indeed reversed. Iā€™ve flown a real C172SP.

And the values are quite unrealistic as well.

When alternator is off, it should read slight negative value indicating a discharge. When on, it should read either 0 or a slight positive, depending on engine RPM. The needle skyrocketing either full up or down is completely wrong, there is never such a huge charge/discharge, even with all the electrical systems running at once.

Also, the alternator needs at least about 1000 engine RPM to actually be able to charge the battery at all.
Itā€™s a standard procedure while on the ground, that before you do anything at all (be it taxi, checklists, engine runupā€¦) you first increase RPM to at least 1000, and only then you operate switches, radios, flapsā€¦

2 Likes

Which variable in which file ?

That information is on my first post!

Here it is for your convenience:
Simvar: ELECTRICAL BATTERY LOAD
File: Instrument_Subtemplates.xml

Additionally, this is the path so you donā€™t have to spend too much time looking for it: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base-aircraft-common\ModelBehaviorDefs\Asobo\Common\Subtemplates\Instrument_Subtemplates.xml

Sorry I missed that, so thanks for repeating it.

Until Asobo fixes it, it seems like it is quite easy to fix with a simple MOD, (just for the C172 Steam)
I suspect the animation in the C172 for the Ammeter is backwards ā€¦ because it works correctly for the C150.

So, all that appears to be needed is a Mod, for the C172 Classic, that has a modified Instrument_Subtemplates.xml in it ( and none of the other files or folders on that
ā€œModelBehaviorDefs\Asobo\Common\Subtemplatesā€ path needed.

The edit needed to the Instrument_Subtemplates.xml is to swap the MIN & MAX values in the Ammeter_SubTemplate

I did this, and now my C172 Steam gauge, has a correct way round Ammeter,
ie Goes negative when you use the Starter Motor etc etc etc

Not really a big deal ā€¦ just annoying, but since its not a big deal, who know how long Asobo will take to fix it.

Thanks Jorge :slight_smile:

Iā€™m surprised it hasnā€™t been mentioned yet in this threadā€¦ but literally every aircraft Iā€™ve played with in this sim has its ammeter readings reversedā€¦ whether or not its an analog gauge or a readout on the Garmin displays.

Itā€™s not just a C172 bug. The accuracy of what the value should read at whatever load is another discussion in and of itself for each aircraft, but Asobo seems to have consistently modeled a negative value to mean ā€œChargingā€ across the board and that needs to be fixed.

Carenado got it right !!!

Asobo also has one of the Light Rotary controls in the C172, rotating backwards (anticlockwise) to turn the light up.