Wrong temperatures

It’s still happening with me in 1.18.15

I don’t understand why altitude bug topic has been merged into this one since the issue is specifically related to altitude and not the wrong temperature. At high altitudes, I’m almost 1500 ft above the indicated altitude even though the ISA deviation is still within limits. Due to this, I often have traffic flying dangerously close to me even though my indicated altitude is at least below 1000 ft from other plane. Is this now going to be a characteristic feature of this sim?

1 Like

The “bug” is that MSFS now correctly calculates pressure altitude directly from ambient pressure, exactly how a real aircraft altimeter does. With this change, the simconnect variable “Plane Altitude” that online ATC clients and flight tracker apps have been using up until now, will no longer match the indicated altitude the pilot sees on the altimeter unless the air temperature and ambient pressure for the current altitude is the same as the ISA standard.

This is only true in MSFS when the “clear sky” weather preset is active. It is not the case when Live Weather is used.

Asobo and the developer of the VPilot client for Vatsim are in communication about this.

The solution will probably be the creation of a new simconnect variable specifically for use by online ATC clients and flight tracker apps that will give the MSFS aircraft altitude by correcting measured pressure altitude for the current sea level pressure, which (again) is how a real aircraft altimeter works.

That should solve the problem, but it would require third party developers that create apps for online ATC or flight tracking to update their software to work with the new simconnect variable.

The built in MSFS ATC was not updated to work with the new way of calculating pressure altitude in time for the release of SU5 HF2, which is why the default ATC does not “see” aircraft altitude correctly. That will be up to Asobo to fix. I strongly suspect that fix will be part of the next World Update which will be coming soon.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe they said in the hotfix release notes that the AI ATC reporting fix (which didn’t make it into the hotfix, whoops) would make it into the upcoming World Update 6 release. This is scheduled for next Tuesday (August 24), as listed on the schedule from the last blog update:

1 Like

Hello, i was flying at FL380 and the temperature increase over to +50°C after today’s hotfix. I thought this was fixed today.
And when i opened the xbox menu to take the screenshot the game crashed.

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
#pc
Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
Nope
Brief description of the issue:
When flying with Live Weather the aircraft (any aircraft) becomes unflyable even on autopilot, engines go to idle and autopilot disengages, non responsive to throttle, aircraft tumbles in the sky.
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Use live weather at 40000ft
PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Latest version, today

I haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but have you set your Barometric pressure to STD when flying above 18000ft?

Unflyable. Winds aloft in cruise are killing my A32nx

2 Likes

I have indeed SteverPer63. I can only reproduce the effect when setting Live Weather one of the presets

should read from one of the presets, sorry sausage fingers

I’m experiencing this today too. Whenever I try to climb above 23,500ft the TAT jumps from about -10C to in excesss of +250C. This causes the aircraft to lose speed almost to stall levels.

Flying in default A320 Neo, live weather, all live players. Xbox series X.

3 Likes

So pleased I’m not the only one. I disabled all of my community add-ons and tried the default aircraft, symptoms remain, wondered if it were a live weather issue so switched to a selectable weather pattern and things calmed down and became infinatatly more predictable again.

I have attempted to switch back to live weather again but chaos ensues immediately.

2 Likes

I can confirm that the issue is on the Xbox as well. Had powerful winds at FL270, couldn’t climb to FL370. The engines would lose power at around FL260, and the plane would descend then attempt to climb again. I switched off the live weather to be able to continue the flight from Mariscal Sucre to Valencia.

1 Like

I have reported this bug to Zendesk as well, Flying CRJ at FL230 fine anying above temp was high. Sent pics as well

Better pic with high temps

Not sure why this has been merged, I been flying ok at high alltitudes all week…only noticed this today…this is a new bug. Repetition of the bug we had back in July.

Halo MS/Asobo, bug appear today, wrong temperatures above FL235, need to fix this

Agreed it’s new. I’ve never had the issue before today. When trying to reply to this topic it says its been solved!!! I think not.

Same issue on Xbox here, only way to avoid it is to turn off live weather…very annoying …

Yup happening to me now over Germany. Very irritating

Exactly the same with A32nx in PC