WU8 bloatware

The Iberia update has unneeded files that bloat the download severely. These are unused modelLib.bgls. Materials, and texture files and folders.
This can be confirmed by looking at their individual layout.json file in a text editor.

The scenery folders are:
microsoft-airport-leco-a-coruna
microsoft-airport-lesu-la-seu-d-urgell
microsoft-airport-lpfr-faro
microsoft-airport-lppi-pico
microsoft-iberia-point-of-interest

There are files never accessed by the sim in each of these folders. The individual layout.json files will indicate what to keep. The rest can either be ignored or deleted (perhaps a dangerous operation). I’m not sure the MSStore version allows deleting files, but I did do it on the Steam version and all is well.

This bloatware adds a serious amount of downloading time and disk space. Several Gigs. This seems to be a Microsoft screw-up. They need someone to actually certify their packages before releasing them.

7 Likes

Good find but perhaps a more accurate topic header and a Zendesk Report for the dev’s to look into.

5 Likes

I didn’t install the airports yet, just the POIs. So I guess the iberia-pois folder is wasting 5.17GB of my SSD.

Or maybe they are there for a future update?

My guess is the folders got renamed and the old folders still got merged by mistake.

I can’t load any flights after the Iberia update, it freezes!

Could be any of the above (both were my thoughts also) but discussion here won’t prove or disprove any possibility unless the dev’s know about our questions concerning it.

Meanwhile, for the casual user, do NOT delete any system files for now.

sry Heth, not meant to be directed at you :slight_smile:

1 Like

We just released an update to WU8 to the Content Manager that removes some duplicated files as discussed in this thread. Installing the update will free up approximately 5GB of space.

There are no changes to the World Update itself.

12 Likes