Xbox control scheme

I’ve tried playing Flight Simulator on PC (only a little bit because my laptop can’t run it properly) with an Xbox controller. While the basic plane controls were fine, I wonder how the developers will map the whole sim exclusively on the controller.

This is something I’d love if the developers would show. On Xbox, most console players use only the controller for their games (me included) so all functions of console games have to be mapped on the controller itself. The current PC version of Flight Simulator cannot be played that way, you simply need the keyboard and mouse for different features. I wonder how the developers will solve this.

Flight Simulator simply cannot make a keyboard and mouse mandatory on console because most gamers don’t have them and wouldn’t buy one just for a console game (and it goes against common sense anyway). So I’m really curious what the solution will be. Will we get new button combinations, radial menus or something like that? Flight Simulator has so many complex features and menus, even in-game, like the instruments, the on-board computer programming, the different sub-menus, the top menu bar etc that I’d really like to know how it all will work with only a controller in hand. For reference, the space sim Elite Dangerous has solved this brilliantly with numberous combos, on-hold menus and unique keybinds. I’d really like to see a full console button mapping for Flight Simulator to get a feel of how it’s going to work.

1 Like

There are going to be peripherals that far exceed the abilities of the controller.

That said, some “different features” may simply not be available (conveniently) when using a game controller only … there are plenty of assist mechanisms to overcome this.

As for the menus they are already X-Box friendly as far as I can tell?

The main front-end menu is navigable with the controller but in-flight I found no way to open the different menus, especially the many options in the top bar. I had to hover the mouse over it to open. Also, the different peripherals can’t be the solution for everyone. A console game has to function fully with the default controller with no additional hardware needed. That’s why I think it’s a challenge. I’m perfectly fine with some advanced features missing by the way.

See this video on YouTube

Moved to peripherals.

This doesn’t really have anything to do with my original question. I’m talking about playing with the original Xbox controller, not buying separate peripherals.

If you want the FS2020 experience you are probably going to have to have the proper peripherals.

Using an XBOX controller is not going to cut it for very long. FWIW

It wouldn’t be the first game that was marginally possible to play on console with a gamepad but which is a lot more fun and makes a lot more sense with dedicated peripherals.

This is a possible approach and a fair comment. I wonder though whether their partnership with manufacturers making Xbox compatible flight peripherals would indicate that they have ruled this out.

most driving games are also better with a steering wheel and pedals on console, why should FS be playable only with controller? I agree that the very basic should be possible with the controller…

No it wouldn’t as there are driving games that can be more fun with a steering wheel, for example. The emphasis here is that console games have to be fully functional with the default controller. Immersion is a different question. But the controls have to be mapped onto the controller, because gamers cannot be expected to buy a separate peripheral for the game. As driving games don’t make steering wheels mandatory, as space/flight sims don’t make HOTAS’s mandatory, etc.

When someone develops for console they have to map the controls onto the controller. There might be more immersive options to control that given game but it’s a basic requirement that it fully functions with the default input device. This is why I’m curious about how Asobo will handle this, and I’d like to see how the sim works on console without any additional hardware.

I think the Flight Simulator experience will be amazing regardless of input device. What makes the immersion the best and what someone looks for in a sim like this comes down to personal preference. I fully understand that playing with a rudder, pedals and throttle makes the experience more realistic, that’s not even the question. The question is how they can put all the controls onto the controller - because it’s a requirement for a console game.

you can straight away plug in a kb and mouse, jus only a controller, well thats no fun for
a long time, you can fly very well with only a controller, its the other functions like
flightplanning that are always a hassle then, be aware of that,

This is exactly what I’d like to know. I know how the PC version works, that’s how I started the thread. And it’s the very reason I’d like to see how those controls are mapped onto the controller. Because console players do not have keyboards and mice, nor they can be forced to buy one for the sim. I know it’s an option on Xbox but the game has to be fully functional without them (unlike PC since all PC players have a keyboard and a mouse at the very least).

As you have noted yourself, basic flight functionality using only a gamepad has been provided.

Yes, but that in itself would not be enough for the game. There would be several options and menus inaccessible with the controller, so the game wouldn’t be fully functional. You couldn’t do basically anything. That’s why more functionality has to be mapped onto the controller itself.

Suit yourself. I guess you will have to see what function are mapped when the product comes out. IMHO X box controllers are more for “shoot um up games” and not really for Flight simulators. But if it works for you…GREAT!

Controllers are great for any type of game, if done properly. You can even play Stellaris on consoles which works beautifully because it got a completely new UI tailor-made for controllers. Same with any dungeon-crawler which are operated by mouse clicks on PC but have direct control with console gamepads. It can be done, what I can’t wait to see is how it will be done with Flight Simulator. I hope the developers reveal this soon.

How much functionality are you hoping will be exposed to that one input device? I have twin throttles, a joystick, rudder pedals a stream deck and there are systems in this sim that I still need a keyboard for.
As far as I know you could already create a custom profile and set up various button combinations yourself. (config already supports multi button combinations so you have the ability to create shift/modifier buttons)

1 Like

As much as possible, done in an intelligent way.

and you have that.