Xbox Controller - Navigating Xbox OS

I have been using FS2020 on Windows for the past year, but the latest Windows update really hosed the system - and FS2020 no longer works. I am tired of the Windows mess (I use Macs and was only running Windows in a BootCamp partition on my iMac Pro). So, I purchased an Xbox S and have gotten FS2020 running. My problem is the controller. I know I can configure it for FS2020 - but I have trouble figuring out how to use the controller to navigate the Xbox interface. Is there any documentation that defines the controller functions for the Xbox OS? Anyone who can provide an outline of how to use the controller to navigate the Xbox interface? MS provides no documentation, of course - it seems that everyone is supposed to figure out these things themselves - and I am too old for that! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Pressing the glowing white Xbox logo button (Xbox Home button) will open a menu on the left side of the display. That is going to be sort of similar to the Start menu in Windows. I wouldn’t quite call it synonymous with the Dock in Mac OS, maybe sort of like the Apple menu.

Using the “d-pad” (the black cross below the left thumbstick) is the easiest way to navigate the Xbox interface when in a specific menu or on the Home Screen.

The left and right bumpers are also utilized, specifically when you’ve pressed the Xbox Home button and opened the side menu, using the right and left bumpers will change the “tabs” within that menu.

If you want to quit a application, such as FS2020, you would press Xbox Home—>d-pad down to highlight FS2020—>press Menu (three horizontal lines button on controller aka “hamburger”) and select “Quit”.

I highly recommend quitting FS2020 rather than using “Quick Resume”, as a fresh boot of the sim seems to be more stable rather than resuming it from a sleep state.

Shutting down the Xbox is a pressing and holding of the Xbox Home button until you feel a vibration and the “What do you want to do?” dialog box pops up.

Hopefully, that gives you a bit of a starting point. If you need any other help, feel free to ask.

Thanks very much - that is very helpful. It seems the “A” button is like “Enter” and the “B” button is like “Back”. Is that correct? I know the “Menu” button opens menus, so that I know.

My I suggest a mouse and keyboard. A rather inexpensive PC (not Apple) Keyboard and a wireless mouse go a long way remove the XBox Controller issues.

You cannot negotiate the Xbox OS with a mouse and keyboard, as you would a PC.

Yes, within the sim they are helpful, but outside the sim manipulating the OS, is what is being discussed here.

Yes, I’d completely neglected that most essential aspect of the controls!

Glad to be of help.

Thanks again for the information. I am thinking I will connect a joystick and “fly” primarily with that - that is what I was used to when running FS2020 on Windows.

I have the Xbox S model - the X is basically unavailable unless you want to pay $900 for it. The S has 512GB internal drive. I own the “full” version of the game, but at this point have only installed the basic version. It looks to me like 512GB is not enough space for the full version and the updates to install. Is that correct? Looks like I will need to get the Seagate external drive.

Again, thanks for the helpful information. Many years ago I had a Playstation 3 and asked to help on the PlayStation forums - I got only rude, unhelpful responses then. This forum seems much more friendly and helpful. Thanks.

I was in a similar boat waiting a year for a Series X and ended up buying a Series S, which worked extremely well. I finally found a Series X in November and now I’ve got a couple of different places to fly in the house. Bonus.

I only have the base edition of the sim, and it’s taking up about 114GB, plus around 44GB of “reserved space”. The reserved space is where add-on content is stored. I’m eyeballing that Premium upgrade, but I’m waiting on SU8 to convince me it will be a wise purchase.

Anyhow, if you start to run out of space with the Premium Deluxe version + additional content, you will need that 1TB “drive”. Do not get a USB HD, as that will not run fast enough to work with the Series X/S software. I’ve got the Seagate device and, other than being bloody expensive, it’s an excellent, super easy, plug-into-the-slot-and-go edition to the system.

1 Like

hi there, hint, you do not need to install the offline part of the sim, saves 44 gigs !!
also the internal 512 is more than enough for msfs, but i do have the extra 1 t memory,
because i play a lot of othe rgames too.

I did order the Seagate 1 TB add-on drive - it will give me some headroom. About the only other “games” I might be interested are the auto racing apps, but I am going to try to master FS2020 first. It looked gorgeous on the 5k iMac Pro (running in BootCamp), but Windows got in the way, and eventually updated itself to death. I left Windows many years ago and have been exclusively Mac since then - never regretted the move. It’s just games that pulls you back to Windows. If MS was smart they would move away from Intel only platforms - then these apps could run natively on Macs. (I have the MacBook Pro M1 Max and it is extraordinary - it is faster than the iMac Pro (Intel) - never gets hot and the battery lasts for days.