Xbox Marketplace Content Storage Constraint a Major Semi-game-breaking Issue

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

N/A

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes/No

Brief description of the issue:

There has been discovered an issue on Xbox when the installed Marketplace content total reaches 500GB. This issue puts the sim into a state where the sim cannot get past the Checking for Updates function during launch. The solution is to “Clear Reserved Space” via the Xbox OS. This solution is drastic, in that it deletes all installed Marketplace content, thus forcing the user to go through the process of redownloading content, which – given the cause of this bug – will be a significant amount of data.

What has been discovered are two interrelated issues:

1. The Xbox version of the sim stores all Marketplace content in Reserved Space. This Reserved Space is stored on the Xbox’s internal storage device, regardless if the user has a Storage Expansion Card and has installed the sim on said Expansion Card.
  2. This Reserved Space appears to have a storage cap of 500GB.

Users are spending significant funds on Xbox Storage Expansion Cards (1TB $199, 2TB $359) for the sole purpose of storing the sim and their Marketplace content. As it stands now, only the sim itself can be placed on the Storage Expansion Card, leaving all the Marketplace Content on the internal storage. This does not make use of the user’s costly investment in storage.

The bug occurs when a user installs 500+GB of Marketplace content on their Xbox. There is, currently, no warning within the sim to indicate to the user that they have approached and/or reached this capacity limitation.

How the sim behaves upon hitting this “hard cap” seems to vary. I will quote @PrincipalJay here:

On one occasion I think it was specifically a Carenado plane that put the sim over the limit the sim quit cold, it went hard ctd and when restarted got stuck on the [update] screen. On other attempts I have surpassed the 500gb limit. At first before catching onto what was happening I would do large batch installs and they would load and the game would take the data. However as is best practice, a reset after content install brings best results and that would lead to the update loop.

This bug is going to become a major issue for the Xbox userbase as the sim continues to mature and more and more content becomes available, purchased and downloaded. This issue is further exacerbated by the fact that Xbox users cannot access the Xbox’s file system and “cherry pick” content to individually delete in an attempt to try and fix the issue in a far less destructive way than clearing the Reserved Space in its entirety.

What MSFS 2020 is doing on Xbox is, clearly, unprecedented and has never been done before in the history of console gaming. Obviously, with things like the WASM issue we are going to run up against oversights in how the sim and the Xbox OS interact.

We desperately need a solution here:

1. Allow more than 500GB of installed Marketplace content
  2. Allow this installed Marketplace content to be installed on an Xbox Storage Expansion Card

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Install more than 500GB of Marketplace content on a Series X with more than enough internal storage space to accommodate it.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox Series X

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I am sitting with this bug “Checking for updates” all day. Given my considerably large amount of marketplace purchases it could well be the problem described in this post. Interestingly within several restarts that ended in subject message I was able to get through 1 time, do a flight and upon returning to the msfs homescreen after the flight got stuck again. I do have an Xbox Series X with the additional expansion card. The expansion card is not used currently as I have installed msfs on the internal storage and there seems no way to that both storages can be seamlessly hooked together. The later is something that I intuitively had expected prior to purchasing the expansion card but left me quite disappointed after I discovered the restriction. This is a separate issue however but is somehow related to the problem.
Question for me is now: do I delete the reserved space and take it from there or do I just wait to see if there is any reaction by MS about this?

5 Likes

Yes same here, why I got one with my Xbox series X. Sim and DLC on the main disk and other games are running on the expansion card.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up / it’s potentially a huge issue.

Looking at my own XBox X I can see that everything so far is installed on my internal drive (I only have MSFS and add ons installed no other games).

I also have an expansion card bought for the purpose of increasing storage as I had envisaged I would need this.

Nothing is currently stored on this and I can see I have used 60% of the internal storage so far.

In the options menu on X Box there is a manage storage where it seems you can nominate both the internal storage or storage expansion card for games. The three options are Internal/Storage Expansion Card/Let XBox decide. By default this is set to internal I have not tried but I’m wondering if by changing this to Let X box decide it might help. I have no experience of using this and this may make no difference at all. I may experiment when feeling brave!

I appreciate these options don’t cover reserved storage but it might help / does anyone know?

1 Like

What this affects is where the Xbox OS installs games/apps and not the sim’s own content.

You can change those settings to force the OS to install new games/apps in the specified storage location or let the OS decide.

The issue we have with the sim, however, is looking like a limitation in the OS’ design. It looks like the Reserved Space location will end up on the Internal Storage regardless of where you have the sim installed or where you’ve asked the Xbox OS to install data.

You can use the Xbox OS to move the sim from the internal to the external storage (and back again), but the Reserved Space seems to remain on the internal storage.

2 Likes

I see then that really is an issue - let’s hope enough noise is made and it gets some attention!

2 Likes

I assume that we agree that it would not help much to remedy the problem with the reserved space. Matter of fact when I got stuck on “Checking for updates” due to the 500 (?) GB “reserved space” issue I had plenty of space (about 180GB) left on my internal storage. I had to delete the “reserved space” and now currently downloading the fs2020 premium and deluxe packages as well as the 12 WU… roundabout 140GB. Plus later my Airports and Planes… just then being careful to only load as much to leave space in the 500GB reserved space file.

2 Likes

You might find some of this useful or interesting:

1 Like

Also to consider in the workings of the black mystery box. In working through this issue at one point I was installing on my internal drive the copy of the game that I was playing and then as I was adding add-on content I would make a copy of everything on the expansion card. Once I hit that 500gb threshold and the game wouldn’t load off the internal drive I figured hey, I’m safe, I’ll just go back and recopy the last version of my expansion save back to the internal drive and I won’t have to start at square one… I thought I had them, I thought I finally won… man was I wrong. Somehow my external drive copy was 69gb as well.

After the WASM current snafu this afternoon currently having an issue where I can load up plan a flight click fly but cannot load into the flight. Even in a vanilla gamestate with default planes and no addons. Something going on?

”CPU” Setup

• Xbox Series X(black)
    -Wireless controller (black-x,y,a,b LT,RT,RBLB buttons)
    -Razer keyboard and mouse, wireless (blue, no green, no red, no orange, no wait it won’t stop changing colors……
    -TB velo1 flight yoke w/ busted mixture control push pull axis
    -2x 10ft red usb cable that runs across the living room floor that makes my fiancé want to leave me on the daily and temporarily cuts power to my flight yoke when the dog steps on it…
    -3 year old and 1 year old augmented reality passengers that simulate authentic cabin noise.
1 Like

While I am close to the 500GB limit for marketplace content, I have not yet broken it.
What I have had happen is my series s ran out of space (with only MSFS installed on it) and would not install the latest world update (13). I deleted a few add-ons to open up space, but they appear to remain in the reserved space so I still can’t install the latest world update and now it won’t let me re-install the content that I deleted as it still only shows a small amount of free space since their previous space is held in reserve (seemingly for them, but it will not let me install them again).
I also purchased an expansion card (awaiting arrival as I type this) and am disappointed to learn that it will not solve my problems on this single game maxing out the internal space on my series s.
This definitely needs some type of fix, preferably where the xbox can install portions of the same game on both the internal and expansion card.

1 Like

Yes

The issue description is perfect. No need to elaborate.

Just documenting for the record that AAU Update 2 V 1.33.5.0 release notes indicate that this big has been addressed!!!

2 Likes

The limit bug has been fixed?

IMG_0318

Has anyone tested to see if this indeed was fixed? Can anyone confirm?

yes

Freezing on checking for updates

Hi All. I’ve just responded to an other thread that indicates this is an issue on both XBox and also on the PC versions. I’m having a similar issue on the PC version, but it seems that the thresholds for the PC are different to the XBox… but the challenges seem to be the same

It may be worth having a look at this thread and seeing what the outcome is. Also good to upvote there as well. I’ll upvote your issue here too

The big difference between the two is, the Xbox user has to delete every single thing they have downloaded, without discretion, in order to get the sim to boot.

The PC user just has to delete or move a few directories to get the sim to boot.

It’s a far more painful and time consuming experience for the Xbox user.

You are right, though, the core issue seems to be similar.

2 Likes

Fixed in AAU2.